A great way to engage students, encourage collaborative groups, examine the essential component of Orwell's 1984...
A new and greatly improved resource.
THE ULTIMATE GUIDE TO GOLDSTEIN’S BOOK.
Goldstein’s book is a challenging section of Orwell’s 1984.
Nevertheless it is essential for students’ understanding of the fundamental concepts that Orwell uses to build his dystopia.
I’ve created what I believe is the Ultimate Guide to Goldstein’s Book.
I say that because, I’ve been teaching the novel for over 30 years and each time I’ve discuss this section with students (more than 100 times), I’ve gotten a clearer picture of the ideas that they understand and those that require more clarification.
With that in mind, I dissected Goldstein’s book and wrote 50 questions for students to respond to as they read.
That seems like an enormous and tedious task, but the questions can easily be divided into sections and addressed a few at a time.
The interesting thing about this activity is that it turned out to be for me, what Goldstein’s book is to Winston.
At the end of chapter 9, Winston remarks that the book
“had not actually told him anything that he did not know; it had merely systematized the knowledge that he possessed already.”
I found that after completing the answer key, sorting through all of Goldstein’s explanations and simplifying them, I have a more focused understanding of the concepts.
Subsequently, I can better explain the section to my kids.
• There are 8 pages with 50 questions.
• I use a clear font.
• I provide space for students’ responses.
• I have included a key (which is the real value of this resource). The key is 11 pages. I provided bulleted responses in complete sentences.
• I included page numbers directing students to the discussion in the novel. I use the Signet Classic paperback. If you use a different edition of the novel, it wouldn’t be hard to change them because the questions follow the text.
• I created this resource with Word, so it is editable.
Thank you for your consideration of this product.
This is only one of my resources that examines Goldstein’s book.
In my store you’ll also find:
• Graphic Organizers for Goldstein’s book, an effective activity for individuals or small groups.
• A PowerPoint presentation that essentially provides the answers to the Graphic Organizers and provides a clearly, illustrated depiction of the concepts in the book.
• There is also a group activity which requires students to plan a creative presentation of a section of Goldstein’s book. Students choose from Brotherhood recruitment meetings, newscasts, interviews, and other creative formats.
Please have a look at my other 1984 products including:
---individual chapter activities
---activities focusing on Goldstein's book
----------"The Ultimate Guide to Goldstein's Book"
----------graphic organizers and an accompanying PowerPoint presentation
----------creative group presentation project
---tests and essay prompts
---an introduction to Orwell and 1984 PowerPoint presentation
---final group researched presentation comparing Oceania to today's society
--------------------COMPLETE UNIT, BUNDLED!--------------------
Please click below to browse my other 1984 resources:
1984 DOUBLEPLUSGOOD RESOURCES
These resources have been student tested and approved throughout my 31 years of teaching the novel!