Compressed Zip File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
If you’ve considered teaching 1984 but feel overwhelmed by the prospect of planning such an enormous and somewhat intimidating unit, here is your solution.
These varied resources require NO PREPARATION!
→To begin, there is a comprehensive and compelling PowerPoint introduction presentation.
→There are comprehension and analysis questions for each chapter in the three sections of the novel, perfect to use as reading checks, discussion or note-taking guides, study references, or assessments.
→A variety of other formal and informal assessments are included.
→There are several differentiated activities for addressing Goldstein’s book.
→Fun and creative activities sustain student engagement.
These are resources that I’ve curated, adapted, and revised over 32 years of teaching the novel.
As you read through the descriptions of these resources, please click on links which will take you to more specific descriptions and previews of the materials throughout my store.
THE ULTIMATE COLLECTION OF RESOURCES FOR ORWELL’S 1984!
Purchased individually, total cost, $126.50---bundled, $84
Included in this bundle:
→→Introduction to George Orwell and 1984 PowerPoint Presentation
38 slides including Orwell biography:
• Discussion of the structure of the world, Oceania, and Ingsoc in 1984
• Discussion of the principles of Ingsoc, Newspeak, Mutability of the Past, and doublethink
• Discussion of Big Brother and his historical parallels
• Introduction to characters
• Introduction to thoughtcrime and the Thought Police, telescreen, propaganda, slogans
• Embedded video of Two-Minutes Hate
Click here for preview of 1984PowerPoint Presentation:
→→Activities for Individual Chapters (some doubled-up)
All activities include comprehension questions and higher-order thinking questions.
Students are required to fill in words from key quotes.
Some graphic organizers
DETAILED KEYS ARE INCLUDED FOR ALL CHAPTER ACTIVITIES!
1. Section 1 Chapter 1 Questions for Comprehension and Analysis (4 pages, 35 tasks, graphic organizers)
2. Section 1 Chapters 2 and 3 Questions for Comprehension and Analysis (4 pages, 40 tasks, graphic organizers)
3. Section 1 Chapters 4 and 5 Questions for Comprehension and Analysis (5 pages, 48 tasks, graphic organizers)
4. Section 1 Chapter 6 Questions for Comprehension and Analysis (3 pages, 29 tasks, fill in key words in quotes)
5. Section 1 Chapter 7 Questions for Comprehension and Analysis (3 pages, 25 tasks)
6. Section 1 Chapter 8 Questions for Comprehension and Analysis (3 pages, 23 tasks, graphic organizers)
7. Section 2 Chapter 1 Questions for Comprehension and Analysis (3 pages, 20 tasks)
8. Section 2 Chapter 2 Questions for Comprehension and Analysis (4 pages, 23 tasks)
9. Section 2 Chapter 3 Questions for Comprehension and Analysis (3 pages 24 tasks)
10. Section 2 Chapter 4 Questions for Comprehension and Analysis (3 pages, 24 tasks)
11. Section 2 Chapter 5 Questions for Comprehension and Analysis (3 pages, 29 tasks)
12. Section 2 Chapters 6 and 7 Questions for Comprehension and Analysis (5 pages 32 tasks)
13. Section 2 Chapter 8 Questions for Comprehension and Analysis (3 pages, 26 tasks)
14. Section 2 Chapters 9 and 10 Questions for Comprehension and Analysis (3 pages, 32 tasks)
15. Section 3 Chapter 1 Questions for Comprehension and Analysis (3 pages, 29 tasks)
16. Section 3 Chapter 2 Creative Activity
o Students discuss the effectiveness of the torture in the Ministry of Love (2 pages, 14 tasks and suggested responses key)
17. Section 3 Chapter 3 Questions for Comprehension and Analysis (2 pages, 25 tasks)
18. Section 3 Chapter 4 Questions for Comprehension and Analysis (3 pages, 31 tasks)
19. Section 3 Chapter 5 Questions for Comprehension and Analysis (2 pages 15 tasks)
20. Section 3 Chapter 6 Questions for Comprehension and Analysis (3 pages 23 tasks)
You can purchase a bundle of chapter questions, linked below:
End of Section Evaluations:
→→Objective Test: (7 pages)
• Matching groups (Spies, Proles, Outer Party) with description (10)
• Matching characters (Winston, O’Brien, Katharine) to quote from the text describing them (15)
• Short answer questions about slogans, ministries, principles of Ingsoc, propaganda, Two-Minutes Hate
• Defining terms (physical jerks, speakwrite, ownlife) (10)
• Short essays: family, mutability of the past and doublethink, intimacy
Out-of-Class Essay Prompt: (1 page) Choose one topic: Propaganda, Intimacy, Mutability of the Past
Instructions to write thesis statement and develop discussion of how the Party establishes and maintains dominance.
→→Persuasive Essay: (3 pages)
Students follow instructions to compose a persuasive essay to convince the US government to adopt a practice of Ingsoc:
• Appeals (logical, emotional, ethical)
• Opposing viewpoint acknowledgement
• Language and style
• Editing Checklist and Rubric
Short Answer Test (3 pages)
• 8 questions requiring a brief essay (family an extension of the Thought Police, Julia and Winston’s differences, etc.)
• Includes two longer essays about Goldstein’s Book:
o One about War is Peace, another about Ignorance is Strength
Quote Test (5 pages)
• 12 quotes from the text with accompanying questions
→→Creative Writing Activity:
Students choose from
• journal writing
• a shopping spree at Charrington’s
• Essay Prompt: 3 prompts from which to choose
→→Final Group Research Project and Presentation
Students research and establish parallels to today’s society:
• Privacy and Technology
• Thought Control
GOLDSTEIN’S BOOK--DIFFERENTIATED ACTIVITIES
→→My most popular 1984 product, Goldstein’s Book Graphic Organizers:
• Graphic organizers help students navigate that part of Section 2 Chapter 9.
• Cover all the main concepts with 31 pages of graphic organizers, (charts, fill-ins, acrostics)
• Detailed KEY INCLUDED
Click here to preview graphic organizers:
→→Goldstein’s Book---The Ultimate Guide
• There are 8 pages of questions including 50 quotes
• I have included a key (which is the real value of this resource). The key is 11 pages.
• I provided bulleted responses in complete sentences.
• I included page numbers directing students to the discussion in the novel. I use the Signet Classic paperback. If you use a different edition of the novel, it wouldn’t be hard to change them because the questions follow the text.
Goldstein’s Book---PowerPoint Presentation
• There are 61 slides.
• The first is a quote from O'Brien regarding Winston's acquisition of the book.
• Following slides address Chapter 1 Ignorance is Strength and provide discussion of
o --hierarchical society,
o --the desire for power,
o --and the similarities among the superstates' ideologies.
o --War is Peace is expounded upon with excerpts, paraphrases, and graphics
Please click here to view this product:
Fun and Creative Activities:
→→Character’s Cell Phone:
Students imagine a 1984 character’s smart phone and determine what apps he would have: What songs? What is in his online shopping cart? Games? Online dating profile? Movie queue? Bitmoji? Selfies? Etc.
Students love this activity. It’s fun and a great way to assess students’ understanding of characterization.
→→One pagers are a refreshing way for students to demonstrate their understanding of literature!
This one-pager template instructs students to illustrate several characters, theme, and propaganda.
The proles intrigue students as much as they intrigue Winston! This activity provides a different perspective on Oceania’s proles and asks students, “Are you a prole?” This is a great way to stress the significance of the inert masses in 1984 and demonstrate to students their own importance in society and Orwell’s message to them!
I have a bundle, Creative Resources for 1984 available:
Thank you for your consideration of this resource.
*************O SOME GREAT STUFF FOR ENGLISH TEACHERS!*************
How to get TPT credit to use on future purchases:
• Please go to your My Purchases page (you may need to login).
Beside each purchase you'll see a Provide Feedback button; click it, and you will be taken to a page where you can give a quick rating and leave a short comment for the product.
Each time you give feedback, TPT gives you feedback credits that you use to lower the cost of your future purchases.
I appreciate your feedback; it helps me determine which products are most valuable for your classroom.
Be the first to know about my new products, free resources and store sales:
• Click below to follow O Some Great Stuff for English Teachers TpT store:
For other ideas, inspiration, or just to chat:
Have a pleasant day!
Lori O, O SOME GREAT STUFF FOR ENGLISH TEACHERS