Products in this Bundle (5)
Also included in
- This AP Lang and Comp Bundle includes slideshow lessons and writing activities for teaching the synthesis essay, argumentative writing, rhetorical analysis, expository texts, and more. Included in this resource are several tasks, collaborative activities, projects and assessments to prepare student$102.35$145.30Save $42.95
This novel study unit for George Orwell's 1984 includes inquiry-based activities, bell ringers, worksheets, and additional readings to guide your students deeper into the novel. Applicable to AP Language and Composition and suitable for distance learning and Google Classroom®!
ASSESS COMPREHENSION, INQUIRY & APPLICATION
APPLICABLE TO AP LANGUAGE AND COMPOSITION
ACTIVITIES, WORKSHEETS, AND ADDITIONAL READINGS
⚡️⚡️⚡️ OVER 10% IN DISCOUNTS! ⚡️⚡️⚡️
1984 by George Orwell is a classic dystopian novel recounting one man's rebellion against an oppressive and restrictive regime. Rich with parallels to historical and modern societies, this story highlights themes surrounding propaganda, surveillance, misinformation, and mass control. With the help of this bundle, students will have a deeper access to the theories and concepts of this brilliant political novel.
How to use this resource:
When teaching this unit, I start each lesson with a Bell Ringer to assess comprehension of homework reading. I then have students group into smaller study groups for the Symbol Tracker activity. Students will continue to read through the novel independently, tracking their symbols and preparing for their Bell Ringer quizzes. When students reach Part II, Chapter 9, I assign the Close Reading Analysis: Oligarchical Collectivism activity to guide them through this challenging section of the text. Students will also collaborate in-class to complete the Modern Parallel Activity; these can be divided up over the course of the unit or assigned to complete during one class. Finally, students will complete a Close Reading Activity for Orwell's Essay, "Politics of the English Language" to continue to apply the theories developed in 1984 to a more tangible world.
For distance learning, I have a different approach for bell ringers: using Go-Formative, I have students respond to these questions live. Since I cannot monitor academic honesty, I do not count these towards my students' grades. They are still a great tool to have your students searching for details within the text as they read towards completing these other activities. The other worksheets in this bundle can be posted on Google Classroom; I'll have my students create their own Google Docs to note their answers, or simply have them share their answers to the class by posting them in response to each resource posted on the Google Classroom.
The following resources are included in this bundle:
- Orwell's 1984: MODERN PARALLEL ACTIVITY | Articles and Guided Worksheets
- 1984: CLOSE READING ACTIVITY | Goldstein's "OLIGARCHICAL COLLECTIVISM"
- George Orwell's 1984: SYMBOL TRACKER | Activity and Graphic Organizer Handout
- George Orwell's POLITICS AND THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE | Guided Analysis
- George Orwell's 1984: BELL RINGER Reading Quizzes
Visit Mondays Made Easy's store on Teachers Pay Teachers to preview this and other great resources for the high school English classroom!
⭐ Customer Tip! ⭐
Want FREE CREDIT to go towards purchases? Make sure to offer feedback for your downloads! Follow these instructions below:
- Go to your "My Purchases" page to find a "Provide Feedback" button next to each download.
- Follow this link to offer a quick rating and leave a short comment for the product. Each time you give feedback, TPT gives you feedback credits that you use to lower the cost of your future purchases!
- Your feedback is important to me as it helps me to continually improve my products and ensure they are meeting your needs!
You might also be interested in...
- BELL RINGER Set | Martin Luther King Jr's "Letter From Birmingham Jail"
- The THESIS STATEMENT Practice BUNDLE | Handouts, Activities, Worksheets + MORE!
- Lincoln-Douglas Format | DEBATE OUTLINE For The Secondary Classroom
- TYPES OF EVIDENCE | Developing Arguments in the Secondary Classroom
- Great Gatsby Novel Study UNIT | Great Gatsby Pre Reading, Quizzes, Activities
- 17 Novel Recommendations For the American Literature Class
- COMPLETE Guide to LITERATURE CIRCLES | Book Clubs for Middle and High School
- Rhetorical Analysis BUNDLE | Martin Luther King's "Letter from Birmingham Jail"
- BUNDLE | Like Water For Chocolate Literary Analysis Resources - Set of THREE
- Collaborative WORD WALL | ADVANCED Literary Terms
- Rhetorical Scavenger Hunt: George Orwell's "Shooting an Elephant"
- Zen in the Art of Writing Study and Discussion Guide | Chapter-By-Chapter Q & A
Follow me! Be the first to know about product launches, sales, discounts and free giveaways:
For questions, collaborations or other concerns:
✉ Contact me: firstname.lastname@example.org