Skip the boring first day procedures and teach your students to be successful and follow directions in your classroom with our 1st Day String Figure Activity. Use this simple, easy set-up activity to engage your student on the first day of school. We love this activity for multiple reasons.
1. Learning is NOT a spectator sport. – This hands-on activity reinforces the idea that you must ACTIVELY participate to learn in class. Watching us work problems on the board or letting your friends do all of the work in the group will not lead to success.
2. Never Give Up. – To be successful, you must continue to work hard and try. You may not get it on the first attempt. This is not a problem, if you continue to try to improve.
3. Follow directions always. – Students must read and interpret the directions as they are written in order to be successful. Too many times in class, we explain the directions instead of making our student read them. As a result, we get frustrated having to go over the directions fifteen times. Once we quit immediately introducing directions, students had to read them before they could ask questions. This cuts down on many problems about the directions later during the year.
4. You must be present to win. – Missing class is difficult, but missing a science class can be really difficult. You need the actual experience of participating in class to really grasp the material. Reading the directions alone does not always guarantee success.
5. TEAM Work (Together Everyone Achieves More). – Many times you need the expertise of other students to help you.
6. Practice Makes Perfect. - Watching someone else do the activity is not the same as doing it yourself. Watching us work problems on the board is easy but will not make you successful. You have to practice to succeed.
7. Students just want to have fun. – Our students really enjoyed this activity. It really breaks up the monotony of the first day of school, and they learned about how to be successful in this class.
This product includes:
• Step by step teacher’s guide with illustrations
• Step by step directions for student use
• PowerPoint slide show with discussion questions
For a more in-depth look, click on the Preview button above.
Stay connected with Learning 365
Be sure to follow our TpT store by clicking on the “Follow Me” next to our logo to receive notifications of new products and upcoming sales.
Follow us on Pinterest
Check out our Learning 365 blog
for more awesome classroom ideas
We are always trying to improve. Please contact us via "Ask a Question" and let us know if we can help make our products better before leaving feedback.
© Learning 365, LLC. All rights reserved by author. The purchaser of this product may use this product for single, individual classroom use only. This license is not intended for use by organizations or multiple users including but not limited to school districts, schools, or multiple teachers. No part of this publication may be reproduced, distributed, or transmitted in any form or by any means without express written permission from the author. This includes posting this product on the internet in any form including classroom/personal websites or network drives. Violations are subject to the penalties of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.