The beginning of a new school year is such an exciting time for young students - and teachers, too! First graders will enjoy reviewing what they already know about color words, shapes, and telling time to the hour. The main emphasis of this packet is learning about character traits, what makes a good friend, and how to be part of a learning community.
Students will work with a simple original book called, "What Time Is It?" which takes them through a typical school day. They'll even have their own little book to take home and read!
This exciting packet contains:
1. Two activities for the first day of school, including a simple book to complete
2. Lessons on how we learn and how to be a better listener, including a poster
3. An activity with the book, "My Brown Bear Barney"
4. Thoughts on how to use pictures, including a cute bulletin board idea
6. A class pledge
7. A song called, "Time For School!"
8. A friends song and activity
9. Introduction/Review activities on color words, shapes, and telling time to the hour
10. An original full-color book called "What Time Is It?"
11. A blackline master for small individual student books
12. A color word game called "Race to School"
13. Two color word worksheets
14. A Read-and-Draw comprehension activity
15. Writing Connection ideas including a cool surprise book to make
16. Math Connection ideas that include five games
17. Social Studies Connection ideas that include character traits to put up in the classroom and directions for a cooperation quilt
18. Science Connection ideas including a poster for your science center
Many of these activities would be great at a Literacy or Math Center!
Enjoy! Sheila Wheaton