Understanding (and teaching) first grade word problems can be challenging, especially when the unknown is not at the end! First graders need to be able to read and understand word problems, represent them, write an equation, and solve them. This no prep collection of problems based on common core addition and subtraction story structures will help you model for your students how to become successful word problem solvers! Students will use some of the same strategies they use when comprehending stories to retell the problem using a beginning-middle-end graphic organizer, represent it using a number bond, and will connect those models with an equation - it's that connection between the problem, the models, and the equation that you want students to make!
*First grade common core story structures included are add to and take from situations with unknowns in all positions (start unknown, change unknown, result unknown)
Here is what your bundle includes:
-12 word problems (using numbers through 20) that include beginning-middle-end and number bond graphic organizers
- models for you to use for teaching
- a blank version to use as a classroom poster
- a beginning-middle-end work mat for students to use with manipulatives to model problems
- these would be great to assemble into a problem solving daily journal activity
Check out the preview!
Be sure to rate this product and provide feedback to earn TpT credits good toward the purchase of future products!
You may also like:
• 1st Grade: Comprehending Word Problems - Set 2
• 1st Grade Spring Word Problems - Show It 3 Ways!
• 2nd grade Two Step Word Problems - Close Reading!
• 1st Grade Compare Word Problems - A Graphic Organizer that Actually Works! (includes SET of 2)
• Fact Fluency Games Tool Kit: Addition and Subtraction Facts – includes 56 Domino cards!
Thanks for visiting,
Math Lady in MD