Understanding (and teaching) first grade word problems can be challenging, especially when the unknown is not at the end! First graders need to be able to read and understand word problems, represent them, write an equation, and solve them. This no prep collection of problems based on common core addition and subtraction story structures will help you model for your students how to become successful word problem solvers! Students will use some of the same strategies they use when comprehending stories to retell the problem using a beginning-middle-end graphic organizer, represent it using a number bond, and will connect those models with an equation - it's that connection between the problem, the models, and the equation that you want students to make!
*First grade common core story structures included are add to and take from situations with unknowns in all positions (start unknown, change unknown, result unknown)
Here is what your bundle includes:
★ 12 word problems (using numbers through 20) that include beginning-middle-end and number bond graphic organizers
★ models for you to use for teaching
★ a blank version to use as a classroom poster
★ a beginning-middle-end work mat for students to use with manipulatives to model problems
★ these would be great to assemble into a problem solving daily journal activity
★ Check out the FULL preview!
Thanks for visiting,
Math Lady in MD
★★★★ 4 Star reviews make these resources great additions to your classroom!
• 1st Grade Compare Word Problems SET 1 - A Graphic Organizer that Actually Works!
• 1st Grade Compare Word Problems SET 2 - A Graphic Organizer that Actually Works!
• 1st Grade Winter Word Problems Show-It-3-Ways
• Product/Place Value Number Talks Cards K-2
• 2nd Grade Two Step Word Problems - Close Reading!
• 2nd Grade Money Word Problems - Close Reading!
• 3rd Grade Perimeter Word Problems - Close Reading!
• 3rd Grade Elapsed Time Word Problems - Close Reading!
• 3rd Grade Word Problems - Close Reading!
• 3rd Grade Two Step Word Problems SET 2- Close Reading!
• Math Games and Centers Bundle for Grades 1 & 2
• Tricky Tens Game - Ways to Make Ten
• Arrow Math - Addition and Subtraction on a Hundred Chart
• Magic Square Puzzle Bundle: Addition and Subtraction Math Facts
• Match Up - Building Better Problem Solvers. For Kindergarten, 1st, 2nd & 3rd.
• Fact Fluency Games Tool Kit BUNDLE: All Multiplication Facts
• Fact Fluency Games Tool Kit: Addition and Subtraction Facts – includes 56 Domino cards!
• Match Up - Building Better Problem Solvers
• Mult-O! Multiplication Partner Game for x5 and x10 math facts
• Dividing Larger Numbers - Introducing with Math Tools
• Cross One Out - Math Warm Ups that Promote Reasoning
• Rubric for Problem Solving (*FREE download!!)