These 38 downloadable first grade math songs and matching videos teach EVERY SINGLE Common Core first grade math standard!! Some of these songs were used in a 2009 study of 286 students. The researcher found that the songs decrease anxiety, increase motivation, and increase mathematics achievement (Kokobas, 2009; see reference below). I'd love to be able to make a difference in your classroom with them!
Research indicates that you can maximize the effectiveness of videos if you use teaching strategies before, during, and after you play them. Please watch the preview to see how this can work. I've included part of the song "Making 21-30."
Sample ideas are... Ask students what they know about these numbers, or to demonstrate numbers with their hands, base tens blocks, or drawings before playing. You may want to ask three volunteers to imitate the video and demonstrate the concept to the class as the song plays. Individual students can also show concepts with base 10 blocks or drawings as the song plays. Sometimes, you may encourage students to read from lyric pages as they sing as well. After playing the video, ask children what they notice. Follow up with mini-lessons based on their observations.
***I only included the "Making 21-30" Video on the TpT site because this set is too big to fit into one file. I have instead linked to them through the pdf file in the supporting document.
The "supporting document" includes:
1. A pdf file containing lyrics to all songs. I recommend printing packets for your class and sometimes encouraging children to read instead of watching videos. Children can also read lyrics whole-class, in small groups, with partners, and independently.
2. Vimeo Links: Click on titles in the Table of Contents or on lyric pages to access Vimeo sites. From Vimeo, you'll be able to stream AND download all videos (for classroom use only).
3. Mp3 music only versions of ALL songs. I highly recommend playing these and encouraging children to point to words as they sing (for tracking reasons and also so you know they're reading). This has been a great way to promote reading in my classroom.
4. Common Core First Grade Math "Extras." If I ever upload a song along with a mini-packet, I will add it to this set. Currently, there are three mini-files for "A Fraction Is a Part of a Whole," "Telling Time," and "Miss Mary Mack."
***You'll also get A HUGE BONUS: Access to ALL videos from one convenient page on my website. In order to access this page...
For more samples, click on the links below:
The preview in this listing is a logical "next step" to the K-1 version, found here:
These are all song titles with Common Core 1st grade standards correlations:
1. Miss Mary Mack, Quack, Quack (1.OA.A.1, 1.OA.C.6)
2. 20 Monkeys (1.OA.A.1, 1.OA.C.6)
3. Count to 120 (1.NBT.A.1)
4. Counting On (1.OA.C.5, 1.OA.C.6)
5. Add It On (1.OA.C.5, 1.OA.C.6)
6. Switcheroo (1.OA.B.3, 1.OA.C.6)
7. Double It Up (1.OA.C.6)
8. Double Time (1.OA.C.6)
9. Using Doubles (1.OA.C.6)
10. Know Those 10's (1.OA.B.3, 1.OA.C.6)
11. Using 10's (1.OA.B.3, 1.OA.C.6)
12. Making 11-20 (1.NBT.B.2)
13. Making 21-30 (1.NBT.B.2)
14. Add 3 Sets of Monkeys (1.OA.A.2, 1.OA.C.6)
15. Add 3 Numbers: Strategies (1.OA.A.2, 1.OA.C.6)
16. Subtract With an Addition Fact (1.OA.B.4, 1.OA.C.6)
17. Counting Back (1.OA.C.6)
18. Count Back to Subtract (1.OA.C.6)
19. Subtract to Make 10 (1.OA.C.6)
20. Using 10's With Subtraction (1.OA.C.6)
21. The Pizza-Eating Alligator
22. Alligator Greater Than/Less Than (1.NBT.B.3)
23. Equals Means “The Same As” (1.OA.D.7)
24. Mystery Numbers (1.OA.A.1, 1.OA.D.8)
25. Count by 10's Forward (1.NBT.C.4, 1.NTB.C.5)
26. Count by 10's Backward (1.NBT.C.5, 1.NBT.C.6)
27. Alligator 1 More (1.OA.C.6)
28. Alligator 10 More (1.NBT.C.5)
29. Alligator 1 Less (1.OA.C.6)
30. Alligator 10 Less (1.NBT.C.5, 1.NBT.C.6)
31. Comparisons (1.MD.A.1)
32. Categories (1.MD.C.4)
33. Telling Time (1.MD.B.3)
34. Paperclip Measurements (Use this to support 1.MD.A.2)
35. Attributes of Shapes (1.G.A.1)
36. Create Shapes (1.G.A.2)
37. A Fraction Is a Part of a Whole (1.G.A.3)
38. Alligator Fractions (1.G.A.3)
***You may also like my
Referenced Study: Kocabaş, Ayfer. Using songs in mathematics instruction: Results from pilot application.” Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, World Conference on Educational Sciences: New Trends and Issues in Educational Sciences, 1, no. 1 (2009): 538–43. doi: 10.1016/j.sbspro.2009.01.097.