These 38 songs and matching videos teach EVERY SINGLE Common Core first grade math standard!!
Some of these songs were used in a 2009 study of 286 students. The researcher found that the songs decrease anxiety, increase motivation, and increase mathematics achievement (Kokobas, 2009; see reference below). I'd love to be able to make a difference in your classroom with them!
Research indicates that you can maximize the effectiveness of videos if you use teaching strategies before, during, and after you play them. Please watch the preview to see how this can work. I've included part of the song "Making 21-30."
Sample ideas are... Ask students what they know about these numbers, or to demonstrate numbers with their hands, base tens blocks, or drawings before playing. You may want to ask three volunteers to imitate the video and demonstrate the concept to the class as the song plays. Individual students can also show concepts with base 10 blocks or drawings as the song plays. Sometimes, you may encourage students to read from lyric pages as they sing as well. After playing the video, ask children what they notice. Follow up with mini-lessons based on their observations.
***I only included the "Making 21-30" Video on the TpT site because this set is too big to fit into one file. I have instead linked to them through the pdf file in the supporting document.
The "supporting document" includes:
1. A pdf file containing lyrics to all songs.
I recommend printing packets for your class and sometimes encouraging children to read instead of watching videos. Children can also read lyrics whole-class, in small groups, with partners, and independently.
2. Vimeo Links:
Click on titles in the Table of Contents or on lyric pages to access Vimeo sites. From Vimeo, you'll be able to stream AND download all videos (for classroom use only).
3. Mp3 music only versions of ALL songs.
I highly recommend playing these and encouraging children to point to words as they sing (for tracking reasons and also so you know they're reading). This has been a great way to promote reading in my classroom.
4. Common Core First Grade Math "Extras."
If I ever upload a song along with a mini-packet, I will add it to this set. Currently, there are three mini-files for "A Fraction Is a Part of a Whole," "Telling Time," and "Miss Mary Mack."
5. One year of FREE access to my new website,
where you'll be able to access videos along with quick tips all from one page. In order to access this site,
a. Please purchase the product and take note of your order number.
b. E-mail me at email@example.com with your order number.
c. In your e-mail, please agree to the following terms for the site & other materials: "I certify that I will only use each license purchased in one classroom or home. If other teachers or parents ask for any First Grade Math Songs and Videos Materials including a site password, I will let them know that they are required to purchase a license." You can just write, "I agree to follow your site policy for First Grade Math Songs and Videos," I'll send you an e-mail so that you can choose a password.
d. You will use your password to have a 1-year site license.
***Note that I encourage parents to buy site licenses as well.
For more samples, click on the links below:
The preview in this listing is a logical "next step" to the K-1 version, found here: Making 11-20 Kindergarten and 1st Grade Number Sense Video
Telling Time to the Hour and Half Hour
Greater Than/Less Than Video With the Pizza-Eating Alligator
Miss Mary Mack: 1st Grade-Level Addition Within 20 Word Problems
These are all song titles with Common Core 1st grade standards correlations:
1. Miss Mary Mack, Quack, Quack (1.OA.A.1, 1.OA.C.6)
2. 20 Monkeys (1.OA.A.1, 1.OA.C.6)
3. Count to 120 (1.NBT.A.1)
4. Counting On (1.OA.C.5, 1.OA.C.6)
5. Add It On (1.OA.C.5, 1.OA.C.6)
6. Switcheroo (1.OA.B.3, 1.OA.C.6)
7. Double It Up (1.OA.C.6)
8. Double Time (1.OA.C.6)
9. Using Doubles (1.OA.C.6)
10. Know Those 10's (1.OA.B.3, 1.OA.C.6)
11. Using 10's (1.OA.B.3, 1.OA.C.6)
12. Making 11-20 (1.NBT.B.2)
13. Making 21-30 (1.NBT.B.2)
14. Add 3 Sets of Monkeys (1.OA.A.2, 1.OA.C.6)
15. Add 3 Numbers: Strategies (1.OA.A.2, 1.OA.C.6)
16. Subtract With an Addition Fact (1.OA.B.4, 1.OA.C.6)
17. Counting Back (1.OA.C.6)
18. Count Back to Subtract (1.OA.C.6)
19. Subtract to Make 10 (1.OA.C.6)
20. Using 10's With Subtraction (1.OA.C.6)
21. The Pizza-Eating Alligator
22. Alligator Greater Than/Less Than (1.NBT.B.3)
23. Equals Means “The Same As” (1.OA.D.7)
24. Mystery Numbers (1.OA.A.1, 1.OA.D.8)
25. Count by 10's Forward (1.NBT.C.4, 1.NTB.C.5)
26. Count by 10's Backward (1.NBT.C.5, 1.NBT.C.6)
27. Alligator 1 More (1.OA.C.6)
28. Alligator 10 More (1.NBT.C.5)
29. Alligator 1 Less (1.OA.C.6)
30. Alligator 10 Less (1.NBT.C.5, 1.NBT.C.6)
31. Comparisons (1.MD.A.1)
32. Categories (1.MD.C.4)
33. Telling Time (1.MD.B.3)
34. Paperclip Measurements (Use this to support 1.MD.A.2)
35. Attributes of Shapes (1.G.A.1)
36. Create Shapes (1.G.A.2)
37. A Fraction Is a Part of a Whole (1.G.A.3)
38. Alligator Fractions (1.G.A.3)
***You may also like my
COMPLETE "Phonics Time" 31-Video Set
31-video "Common Core KinderMath" Kindergarten Math Videos Growing BUNDLE
Poetry Songs and Videos--With Deedee Wills
Guided Reading Strategies and Activities (Including 8 Songs)--With Deanna Jump
Kocabaş, Ayfer. Using songs in mathematics instruction: Results from pilot application.” Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, World Conference on Educational Sciences: New Trends and Issues in Educational Sciences, 1, no. 1 (2009): 538–43. doi: 10.1016/j.sbspro.2009.01.097.