These 11 games cover every CCSS-aligned first grade operations and algebraic thinking topic for only $1 each! The games reinforce the 1.OA.A.1, 1.OA.A.2, 1.OA.B.3, 1.OA.C.5, 1.OA.C.6, 1.OA.D.7, and 1.OA.D.8 standards, including skills such as:
• Using addition and subtraction to solve word problems and equations within 20
• Choosing the operation (deciding whether to add or subtract) in a word problem
• Finding an unknown number (missing value) in an equation and in a word problem
• Using a symbol to represent an unknown number in an equation
• Adding three numbers
• Adding and subtracting fluently within 20
• Combinations of 10
• Choosing addition and subtraction strategies (making ten, decomposing numbers, etc.)
• Counting on and counting back, and relating these to addition and subtraction
• Using a number line
• Exploring the relationship between addition and subtraction
• Recognizing part-part-whole relationships between three numbers
• Explaining the meaning of an equal sign
• Comparing values on each side of an equal sign
• Determining if an equation is true or false
Although the games are perfect for two player math stations, math centers, math tubs, etc., you can engage your students in meaningful problem solving discussions by having them all play the same game at the same time for about 10 minutes per day. This is a math partner game routine I've created and explained thoroughly in the product download (click the "Preview" button to the right to read about it now.) These are the three main benefits to having all kids play the same game at the same time: 1) You can conduct mini-lessons and strategy discussions around shared experiences before and after game play, 2) You can focus on facilitating critical thinking and observing students' problem solving attempts during game play, and 3) Students play the same game for a week, so you have lots of targeted opportunities for reinforcing higher-level thinking skills, identifying and addressing misconceptions, and scaffolding student learning.
There are so many games included in this product that you can play some during math partner game routines, use some as small group lessons or whole class lesson activities, place some in your math centers, and even send some home for students to play with their families! The game cards and resources can double as student manipulatives during math lessons. Each and every one of these versatile games features:
- Integration of higher-level thinking and critical thinking skills (not just rote practice)
- Hands-on activities through which kids actively construct knowledge: no worksheets!
- Options for open-ended game play so that students are not "finished" until time is up
- "Challenge" activities to extend game play and/or differentiate it
- "Math Talk" questions/prompts to encourage students to analyze strategies and reflect orally or in writing about what they're learning
These two player math games were created for (not retro-fitted to) the increased rigor of the CCSS, so they will be challenging for most students. The games are designed to help you model and reinforce the math practices and core content skills that students will need when solving complex, multi-step word problems. Here's what you'll get in the product download:
* 20 pages of info and forms that contain everything you need to get started with math partner games. There are blank partner game lists, tips (with photos!) for how to create/ store/ organize/ distribute/ collect the games, and lots of ideas for how the games can be used for skill-based mini lessons and math journal reflections.
* 11 pages of game instructions: there's one page for each game, featuring the materials needed, directions for game play, a Challenge activity, Math Talk
questions/prompts, the CCSS alignment, and student-friendly "I Can" statements.
* 29 pages of old-fashioned-sweets-themed game boards, cards, and other colorful and fun materials for game play. Most of the materials are open-ended and can be used in lots of different ways so you have fewer items to print and create. The only additional items you need to provide are paper clips to create spinners.
UPDATED: PRINT AND GO! You now get a zip folder with purchase that includes individual PDFs for each game! If you only want to print and use one game at a time, you can easily print just the PDF with that game’s instructions and materials.
PLEASE NOTE: I have adapted each game concept to meet the level of rigor required at the corresponding grade level, and no two games are exactly alike. However, because there is some overlap in the CCSS between grade levels, some of the games and materials in the 1st-5th grade operations and algebraic thinking products are similar. Please keep this in mind when considering whether to purchase games for multiple grade levels.
IMPORTANT: These games are designed to be introduced and modeled by the teacher before releasing students to play on their own. Because the games are rigorous and not basic matching/sorting activities, the directions may be too difficult for 1st graders to read and follow independently if you have not previously shown them how to play. I encourage you to view a sample of the game instructions by clicking the “Preview” button to the right before buying.
This item was added 5.18.13. I'm in the process of creating Common Core aligned math partner games for all CCSS domains in grades 1-5. If you'd like to receive an email from TpT when I've added a new grade level or skill/concept to the math partner games product series, click "Follow" at the top of my store page.
See what other teachers are saying!
These games have been working out great! I really appreciate how thorough your instructions are! - Anonymous Buyer
We love it! Our District ordered these for our first grade team! - H Duane H.
Your system for organizing the games is really helpful, thank you! - Kayla A.
These will be fantastic supplements for the envision series my school uses! - Drew G.
These are great for buddy games during math stations - thank you! - Tammy C.
I love all of these math units! - Christy J.
You might also like:
1st Grade Number & Operations in Base Ten: 14 CCSS place value partner games
1st Grade Geometry Math Partner Games: 8 shapes & equal shares games for CCSS
Discussion Starters for Math Problem Solving: Questions for modeling and reinforcing CCSS
Addition KITs: Fun math fact practice games for centers or homework
Be sure to check out my website where there are hundreds of pages of classroom management resources that make teaching more effective, efficient, and enjoyable! You'll find photos, activities, printable forms/posters, and more.