2 for 1 template - introduce basic sewing skills to the classroom with this easy Penguin Felt Ornament template.
Designed to be a sewing project for kids, the pattern can also be used with card, giving you a number of options for this project in the classroom:
1) Seasonal Christmas Tree Ornaments for kids to sew and give
2) Larger version of the penguin for smaller hands to sew - creating a simple plush toy
3) Card version - that can either be made as an ornament or stuck to the front of a greeting card
The sewing project only requires a running stitch and a simple cross stitch. However, other stitches such as an over stitch or blanket stitch can also be introduced.
If working with younger kids, there is a large pattern available to make a simple plush toy. It is also a great oppotunity to discuss shapes: Circles, Triangles and Hearts.
Note: Worksheet instructions are for SEWING this project! Hints are provided for speeding up the project in a classroom setting.
* Lesson plan overview
* Worksheet instructions for how to sew the penguin ornament
* A choice of two sizes for the pattern - to use as either a Christmas Ornament or small plush toy
* Introducing sewing (running stitch)
* Seasonal activity
* Cutting skills
* Reading & following instructions
* Felt in desired colors (though card can be used as an alternative)
* Mini brads - felt can also be used
* Ribbon for hanging