A Listening Lesson Incorporating the Summer Olympics
This lesson addresses many standard in most grade levels of general music including form, movement, listening, composers, and music history.
* Compare and contrast style/form/instrumentation using John Williams' and Leo Arnaud's versions of "Olympic Fanfare and Theme: Bugler's Dream."
* Composer bio John Williams is explored as an iconic American composer
* Popular movie themes by John Williams are identifies and explored
* The form of "Olympic Fanfare" is examined with a listening map
* Creative movement allows students to internalize the form of "Olympic Fanfare"
The format of this lesson is in PowerPoint - pay attention to the slide notes for additional lesson ideas, timings for the form and movement, and links for listening files.
Sound files are referenced from YouTube.
Please see my blog post on how I used this lesson for the past 2014 Winter Olympics at http://www.learnmemusic.com/2014/02/winter-olympics-2014-music-class.html. Browse my blog at www. learnmemusic.com for more music and technology resources for education!