This is a reader series that teaches students in K-2 careers that will be needed in the 21st century. In reading about the exploits of the characters in this reader series, students build an identity for themselves and how they can help out in their community. While reading stories in this series, students will practice their K-2 core literacy skills (i.e. story sequencing, identifying story BME, analyzing characters, sight reading, decoding sounds, reading comprehension, etc.)
Each book in the series is written in a repetitive format in order to give the students a strong grasp in the "Excellent Eight" grammar structures in English. By acquiring language skills in the Excellent Eight, students will be able to communicate in all conversational situations. The Excellent Eight grammar structures include:
Existence--There is/There are
Identity I am/are/is
The reader series is also written with the phonics learner in mind. Each book is themed around a letter, so children can develop vocabulary and improve their phonetic awareness.
"Barry the Botanist" - Barry sees a world of growing air issues, and wants to do what he can to help solve this problem. By studying and caring for plants, Barry brings more gardens, and more fresh air to this world.
Included in this package:
- Story: "Barry the Botanist"
Not included in this package (for full package, see 21st Century Careers B (Reader + Worksheets)
- Vocabulary list
- Sequencing cut outs and storyboard with sentence frame starters
- Story retells - target verb practice
- Story retells – silent sustained writing
- Character mapping with verbs (“is a”, “likes”, “would like”, “needs”, “there is/are”, “has a”, “go to”, “can”)
- Two-column character analysis chart
- Story setting coloring
- Character analysis mapping and grammar practice
- Speed Reading of key vocabulary words
A digital version of the book with reading and sounds is also available. Just msg me for more info!