Every September I pull out this package and assess how many of the 220 Dolch words and 95 Dolch Nouns my students know. Then I use the whole set of practice cards for students who need to master most of the Dolch words. I use the blank cards to write up words for students who are just missing some of the words. I also send home a set of cards for parents to practice with their child at home.
The Dolch packet contains:
1. one student assessment - teacher master, 3 copies
2. one student assessment – student master, 3 copies (first 110 Dolch Words, second 110 Dolch Words, 95 Dolch Nouns)
3. one blank master for Dolch Word home practice cards for parents
4. one master for complete set of 220 Dolch Words and 95 Dolch Nouns practice cards to be cut in half, single hole punched and held together with single ring.
5. one master blank Dolch Word practice card
6. one parent letter to accompany flash cards that get sent home for practice.
7. one set of Dolch practice flashcards black and white
8. one master flashcard page
9. two sets of coloured Dolch flashcards that can be used for games such as “Go Fish” or “Concentration”
The Dolch words are important words for students to learn, because it is estimated that these words account for common words that occur in 50-75% of children's books. These words are important because many of the words cannot be sounded out and/or illustrated in pictures.