23 thoroughly engaging differentiated activities around the themes of school and technology. 4 lessons centered around texts about school, social media and its role in education and the negative effects of social media in school.
Social media and technology use in school. This section includes:
- Vocabulary list with words associated with technology list
- Frontloading activity to practice vocabulary
- Vocabulary and definitions
- Inventory style questions of social media use recycling vocabulary from page
Reading texts and activities
-Las clases de Gonzalo- two page text cognate laden comprehensible input text about a boy from Honduras and his school experiences. This text is accompanied by:
-Post reading questions
-Personal compare and contrast questions related to the text
-Vocabulary activity with school supplies
-Pair communicative activity.
2. Visual Literacy promoting Cellphone Ads from Latin America (taken while traveling to Honduras).
- Visual comprehension questions. Easy to use for the IB visual interpretation tasks or the ACTFL interpretive mode.
-Writing activity related to cellphone usage
3. Interpretive Reading Texts (4 texts): Los celulares en la escuela: Choque de opiniones (longer texts)
-Yo no puedo vivir sin mi celular (Text 1- advantages of using technology in school)
-El uso del celular en la escuela me destruyó la vida (Text 2- social media and bullying)
-Comprehension questions, several activities as options for responding and reacting to the text.
-Los Jóvenes Opinan - two students share opposing views of using phones in school (shorter texts)
Tweets from other students responding to theme
Response activity and writing prompt