This unit of study in writing a How-To Text is aligned with the Common Core for 2nd grade. It also can be used as a supplement to Journey’s for 2nd grade Unit 9 How-To Writing. Scholars are asked to recall information from experience to write an informational piece. There is a focus on Nonfiction Text and Graphic Features in students creating their own “little books.” Additionally there are lessons on specific nouns, strong verbs, and punctuation. There are 18 lessons plus the celebration day.
Prior to this unit, gather a collection of How-To books. This collection will be needed for numerous lessons in the unit. Students begin by exploring published How-To texts, noticing common conventions of this genre. Suggested Resources are listed at the end of the plan.
Student Learning Targets:
• Scholars select a topic and write a How-To from their own experience and knowledge.
• Scholars use specific nouns, strong verbs, and transition words.
• Scholars will write instructions that illustrate multiple steps in a logical sequence.
• Scholars will reread and revise for clarity, sequence and missing steps.
• Scholars will print legibly and space letters, words and sentences appropriately.
• Scholars will edit capital letters and ending punctuation.
Each lesson is ready to teach emphasizing the Gradual Release format identifying the standard, teaching point, connection, guided practice, Independent Practice, Check for Understanding, and reflection.
Goal: Writing Teaching Books with Independence.
This unit of study follows my Informational lesson plans