We have 6 weeks for each reading unit at our school. Unit 2 of Journeys only has 5 weeks, so here are documents that were created based on Lessons 6-10 in the 2nd grade Journeys reading program.
We use these documents to review and test after Lesson 10 is completed. Included are Microsoft Word and PowerPoint documents. The documents contain a variety of high frequency and vocabulary words we worked on during Unit 2. All documents are saved as a zip file.
These documents could also be used as review during Unit 2 or as homework assignments. All documents can be edited in Word or PowerPoint.
Microsoft Word Documents
1. A spelling list of 20 words from lessons 6-10. The words chosen are ones we thought students use often in their writing.
2. An ABC order page for the 20 spelling words
3. A high frequency word assessment. It uses high frequency words from Unit 2. Students have to fill in the blanks of sentences with high frequency words we've worked on.
4. Vocabulary Assessment: Students label pictures with vocabulary words from unit one.
5: Connect Four Board for seat work. It lists the 20 selected spelling words and has seat work activities for students to complete throughout the week when they have time.
6. High Frequency Word Graph: Sort high frequency words from the unit to create a bar graph
7. Spelling Word Graph: Worksheet created for students to sort their spelling words and create a bar graph
8: Spelling Word Sort Worksheet to be used with the Spelling Review PowerPoint
9. Nouns Sort: Students cut, sort, and paste plural and proper nouns
10. Writing Assessment: End of unit assessment that tests students ability to use notes about thunderstorms to write an Informational Paragraph
11. Writing Rubric: Used to score and grade student's Informational Paragraphs about thunderstorms
12. Write to Learn Writing Prompts For the Week: 4 prompts for Reading, Writing, and Spelling
13. Spelling Test Template for the 20 Spelling Words
14. Verbs Assessment: Students circle which verb (past or present tense) should be used in the sentence.
1. Spelling: Students find the misspelled spelling words in sentences and see how to spell them correctly.
2. Spelling: Students sort spelling words based on spelling pattern (there is a word document to be copied and used with this PowerPoint)
3. Grammar: Review of Plural and Proper Nouns
4. Author's Purpose: Review of author's purpose, students decide if 2 passages were written to entertain or inform
5. Review of non-fiction texts. Insects story show on PowerPoint with questions for students to answer as a class.
The PowerPoint and Word documents can be easily edited and are saved as a zip file.
*These resources go with the 2012 edition of Journeys.