If you're looking for engaging strategies to introduce and practice second grade ELA standards
, this set of language arts pair ups might be just what you need! A set of 30 pair up matching cards and a recording sheet are included for the following skills: irregular past tense verbs
(p.34), irregular plural nouns
(p.41), and collective nouns
(p.47). You’ll love the fun food pair themes on each card set!
These cards can be used in a variety of ways. Here are a few ways I use them with my own second grade students:
★ Partner Pair Up
– After introducing the skill, hand out one card to each student. Ask students to read their cards, hold them up, and find their partners without using their voices. Partners can then present their cards to the class orally or you can create a class anchor chart listing the pairs.
★ Match the Cards
– Students can work alone, with a partner, or in a small group to match all the card pairs. Matches can be recorded on the provided response sheet for your review. Great for literacy centers!
– Students play in pairs or a small group. Players flip cards upside down and spread them out on the floor or table. Students then take turns each flipping over a pair of cards, seeking a match. If a student flips over a matching pair, he or she keeps the cards. If the two cards flipped do not match, they are turned back over and play continues to the next player. The player with the most cards at the end of the game wins. (If you wish to use the cards for this game, you may wish to back the cards with dark construction paper or print onto cardstock to ensure the cards are not see through.)
★ Pairing Students for Partner Work
– Looking to create random partnerships? Review an ELA skill at the same time by handing out a set of cards and instructing students to find their partners and get to work!
You may also be interested in the following related products:
☆ Cut and Pastes for the Language Arts Common Core
☆ Second Grade Interactive Notebook (Language Arts / ELA)
If you and your students enjoy this resource, please consider following my store. Freebies and new products are posted regularly. You can contact me with any questions or requests at email@example.com.
- Amanda Taylor @ Second Grade Smiles