Reading COMPREHENSION and FLUENCY Passages for 2nd Grade :
This resource contains 8 reading passages (6 fiction and 2 nonfiction) that target both COMPREHENSION and FLUENCY. Each passage is presented twice, in 2 versions ,and it's followed by a True/ False sort.
The students will have to:
*read each text 3 times and color a star after each reading ( for fluency)
*answer text based questions and color the evidence in the text ( in the first version)
*write and answer their own questions about the important details in the text ( in the 2nd version)
* Cut, sort, and paste sentences that use details from the story on a True/ False chart
I used a smaller font to fit a passage and three comprehension questions on the same page and make it easier for the kids to work with the text.
* Work on reading the passages and answering the questions in small group , then use the True/ False sort as an independent activity
* Students have to read each passage 3 times, so I would suggest choral reading the 1st time, partner reading the 2nd time, and independent reading the 3rd time
* Ask the students to answer each question using a complete sentence
* Then ask the students to read their answer to you or to a partner and PROVE their answer by COLOR-CODING the EVIDENCE in the text (= the sentence within the text that has the answer)
Differentiation is easy: use the 2nd version to challenge your higher 2nd graders. Asking questions is actually a requirement of the 1st Common Core Literacy standard.You'll be amazed by what kind of questions the kids can come up with. MY students love to ask their own questions!
1. A Visit to the Zoo
2. Hannah's Crayons
3. Tiger Sharks
4. The Lost Puppy
5. Rocky and Nutty
6. Lazy Bear
8. Bill and Phil
Common Core Standard:
RL.2.1 and RI.2.1: ASK and ANSWER such questions as who, what, where, when, why, and how to demonstrate understanding of key details in a text