Reading COMPREHENSION and FLUENCY Passages for 2nd Grade :
This resource contains 10 reading passages (6 fiction and 4 nonfiction) that target both COMPREHENSION and FLUENCY. Each passage is presented twice, in 2 versions, and it's followed by a True/ False sort.
The students will have to:
*read each text 3 times and color a star after each reading ( for fluency)
*answer text-based questions and color the evidence in the text ( in the first version)
*write and answer their own questions about the important details in the text ( in the 2nd version)
* cut, sort, and paste sentences that use details from the story on a True/ False chart
I used a narrow font to fit a passage and three comprehension questions on the same page and make it easier for the kids to work with the text.
* Work on reading the passages and answering the questions in small group, then use the True/ False sort as an independent activity
* Students have to read each passage 3 times, so I would suggest choral reading the 1st time, partner reading the 2nd time, and independent reading the 3rd time
* Ask the students to answer each question using a complete sentence
* Then ask the students to read their answer to you or to a partner and PROVE their answer by COLOR-CODING the EVIDENCE in the text (= the sentence within the text that has the answer)
Differentiation is easy: use the 2nd version to challenge your higher 2nd graders. Asking questions is actually a requirement of the Common Core Literacy standard RL2.1. You'll be amazed by what kind of questions the kids can come up with. MY students love to ask their own questions!
1. A Visit to the Zoo
2. Hannah's Crayons
3. Tiger Sharks
4. The Little Puppy
5. Rocky and Nutty
6. Lazy Bear
8. Bill and Phil
10. Whitetail Deer
Common Core Standard:
RL.2.1 and RI.2.1: ASK and ANSWER such questions as who, what, where, when, why, and how to demonstrate understanding of key details in a text
You might also like: