Don't just ask students to memorize words for a spelling test! Teach them how to spell. Meaningful spelling practice can be found here.
This product was designed for 2nd grade 2nd semester (Part 1 sold separately), but can be used as needed. This would be great as your spelling curriculum throughout the year!
After attending an Orton-Gillingham conference I was inspired to create these weekly units. Students love the mixture of real words, nonsense words, sight words, and sentence dictation. If you are looking for a new spelling sequence that is based on the Orton-Gillingham method this is a great set. The sight words (red words) are largely selected from Dolch Word lists. The sequence is roughly based on "Recipe for Reading," but NOT exactly aligned.
*Spelling tests include some words provided on the study sheet as well as some new words that match the weekly concept to truly assess understanding of the skill. Tests include isolated spelling practice as well as spelling in context through dictation.
*Unit numbers are simply to help keep in order as skills build upon previous concepts. Feel free to start wherever the needs of your students are and progress from there.
• Parent Letter Introducing the Program
• “Vocabulary to Know” for Parents
• “Pick 3” -8 Multi-Sensory Spelling Activity Sheets (6 are the same ones found in Part 1)
• Weekly Spelling Test Template
• “Red Words” lists (Part 1 and Part 2)
• 15 Units of Student Lists, Red Word Practice Sheets, and Teacher Test Keys
• Unit #16: Vowel Digraph Teams (ea, ee)
• Unit #17: Vowel Digraph Teams (oa, oe)
• Unit #18: Vowel Digraph Teams (ai, ay)
• Unit #19: Spellings for /k/
• Unit #20: R-Controlled (ar, or, er, ir, ur)
• Unit #21: Diphthongs (ow, ou)
• Unit #22: Long i; igh
• Unit #23: Consonant-le Endings
• Unit #24: Sounds of “Y”
• Unit #25: Hard and Soft “c and g”
• Unit #26: -ge and –dge Endings
• Unit #27: The 3 (au)s -- aw, au, a
• Unit #28: Diphthongs (oi, oy)
• Unit #29: -ch vs. –tch
• Unit #30: -ing as an Ending
Check out these corresponding products:
Spelling Throughout the Year Part 1
Spelling Rules Practice Part 1
Spelling Rules Practice Part 2
Phonemic Anchor Charts
“Spelling Made Fun” is INCLUDED in this product. There is NO need to purchase it separately.
Spelling Made Fun
Please leave feedback if purchased!
"Teaching in Thompsonville"
This product is for single classroom use.