Compressed Zip File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
This interactive and engaging SMARTBoard file is perfect for helping your grade 3-5 students gain a basic understanding about how our government is structured. *
*Please note that this product is designed for use on SMART brand interactive whiteboards and may not open if you have a different brand board.
Topics covered in this file are:
• What are the 3 branches of government, and how are they structured?
• What are the responsibilities of each of the 3 branches?
• How are laws made?
• Checks and balances of the 3 branches
• Cabinet Sorting Game
There are a variety of activities throughout the file, such as fill-in-the-blank, true/false, and the magic magnifying glass.
Along with the 22 page Smart Notebook file, there is an accompanying PDF file with worksheets for students to use to follow along and fill in the blanks as the teacher leads the lesson on the SmartBoard. (Student pages are self-checking, as the SmartBoard file reveals the answers as you go.)
Also included are two optional activities:
1. Make Your Own Government Tree: Students color and cut out the tree template, along with a variety of leaves, each printed with a responsibility of one branch of government. Students can first play as a sorting game, and then create a record of learning by gluing each leaf to its proper branch, and mounting the tree on construction paper..
2. “If I Were Elected President” writing activity: Students use a paragraph organizer to write about the top 3 things they would do if they were president. Includes dollar bill template for inserting student’s faces to display with final copies of the writing.
Download my preview file to see more, and please let me know if you have any questions.