This product primarily focuses on finding the volume of rectangular prisms and triangular prisms and finding the surface area of rectangular prisms, triangular prisms, and pyramids. To indoctrinate the students to solid (3-dimensional) figures and build enthusiasm, however, it first includes a competition which helps the students find bases, faces, edges, and vertices, and then classify various solids based on their features. Then our two friends, Boxy and Boxette, take over to help explain and clarify the concepts of volume and surface area through an organized package of warm up activities, guided notes pages, and worksheets. The unit focuses primarily on sixth grade standards (though it can be used for advanced fifth grade classrooms or for seventh graders that need a review), and therefore does not address volumes of pyramids, cylinders, cones, or spheres. These shapes will be addressed in forthcoming units.
This product is broken up into eight different sections. Each section comes with a corresponding set of keys and should take approximately one day to complete. Note that the pages of student material are conveniently set up to allow for double-sided printing in packet form (including some intentionally blank pages). Note also that this unit assumes some knowledge of 2-D geometry, including how to find areas of rectangles and triangles. Note also that the Solid Voyage of Discovery and Solid Classification Challenge are also sold as a separate product call the Classifying 3-D Figures Game (Classifying Solid Shapes / Solid Figures). The eight sections include:
1. Solid Voyage of Discovery – In this activity, students use either the pictures provided or a set of three dimensional shapes if they are available to identify number of edges, bases, faces, and vertices of ten different three-dimensional figures. They then answer a number of critical thinking questions to identify properties of different prisms, pyramids, cylinders, and spheres. This activity introduces the students to three dimensional vocabulary and to properties of specific solids.
2. Solid Classification Challenge – This activity is a healthy competition in which the students are given definitions of various solids and then given 20-30 minutes to give as many solid names as appropriate to each of 16 different figures. This activity helps cement the properties of various solids in a way that will be both enjoyable and productive.
3. Volume of Rectangular Prisms – Includes a warm-up activity, two guided note-taking pages, and a two-page worksheet. “Boxy” is used to introduce the concept of volume and how to find it for a rectangular prism.
4. Volume of Triangular Prisms – Includes a warm-up activity, a guided note-taking page, and a two-page worksheet. “Boxette” is used to determine how to calculate volume for a triangular prism.
5. Surface Area of Rectangular Prisms - Includes a warm-up activity, two guided note-taking pages, and a two-page worksheet. “Boxy” reappears to show how to calculate surface area by creating a net or using an algorithm.
6. Surface Area of Triangular Prisms – Includes a warm-up activity, two guided note-taking pages, and two-page worksheet. “Boxette” reappears to show how to calculate surface area by creating a net or using an algorithm.
7. Surface Area of Prisms and Pyramids – Includes a warm-up activity, a guided note-taking page, and a two-page worksheet. The concept of surface area is now extended to include other solid figures composed of rectangles and triangles.
8. Comprehensive 3-D Figure Unit Assessment – A two-page test covering all concepts learned.
Detailed keys are included for all unit materials. Specific instructions are also provided regarding how to make best use of the warm-up activities, how to conduct the guided note-taking sessions, and how to implement and review the worksheets.
Students who have been through this unit are engaged in the warm-ups, appreciate the organization provided by the note-taking, and find the worksheets and competition challenging and student-friendly. If you are interested in teaching a variety of 3-D geometry concepts quickly and effectively, this is the product for you!
Good luck in your use of 3-D Geometry Unit.
As mentioned above, the Solid Voyage of Discovery and Solid Classification Challengae are also sold separately as Classifying 3-D Figures Game (Classifying Solid Shapes / Solid Figures). If you are simply looking for a game introduce 3-Figures and their attributes, you may want to purchase this product instead.
If you are interested in educating your students on 2-dimensional figures, there are a myriad of 2-D geometry products available, the most complete of which is 2-D Geometry Unit: Area and Perimeter, Classifying Quadrilaterals and Triangles. This complete unit contains materials on classification of 2-D figures, classification of quadrilaterals, area and perimeter of parallelograms, triangles, and composite figures. Please check out this product or other products accessible from the "Geometry Products" link below if you are interested in 2-D geometry products.
Also feel free to check out a growing number of other products that use poetry, songs, games, worksheets, and assessments to make math fun and help students to learn a variety of common core math standards.
Click here to view Algebraic Expression and Equation Products
Click here to view Data, Statistics and Probability Products
Click here to view Divisibility Rule Products
Click here to view Elementary to Middle School Transition Products
Click here to view Fraction Products
Click here to view Geometry Products
Click here to view Integer and Order of Operations Products
Click here to view Ratio-Rate-Proportion Products
Click here to view Riddle Card Products that Help Retain Math Essentials
How to get TPT credit to use on future purchases:
• Please go to your My Purchases page (you may need to login). Beside each purchase you'll see a Provide Feedback button. Simply click it and you will be taken to a page where you can give a quick rating and leave a short comment for the product. Each time you give feedback, TPT gives you feedback credits that you use to lower the cost of your future purchases. I value your feedback greatly as it helps me determine which products are most valuable for your classroom so I can create more for you.
Be the first to know about my new discounts, freebies and product launches:
• Look for the green star next to my store logo and click it to become a follower. Voila! You will now receive email updates about this store.