Compressed Zip File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing. How to unzip files.
3.32 MB | 57 pages
WHO WILL USE THIS RESOURCE BOOK?
ES1, Stage 1 and Stage 2 teachers, LaS teachers, Casual teachers, Interns, early career teachers.
NEW NSW English Syllabus Outcomes!
• The outcomes for both Stage 1 and Stage 2 have been included on each ‘Outcomes and Task’ page. If the activity is reflected in or is an indicator of the outcome, the box is shaded and ticked.
DIFFERENT WAYS TO USE THIS RESOURCE BOOK-
• Guided reading small groups
• Whole–class activities after a modelled focus with a big book or text
• Individual Education Programs
• Meaningful, prepared lessons for a block or day-to-day casual teacher for Stages 1 and 2 (and easily adapted to Early Stage 1 and Stage 3)
• A homework assignment
THE TEACHING LEARNING TASKS & ACTIVITY SHEETS -
• The activities in this book are designed for Stage 1 and Stage 2 students. Some sheets are more suited to literary or factual texts, but most can be used with either. All sheets have a suggested stage level in a small box on the page, but this is a GUIDE only and each sheet can be modified to suit either stage by increasing or decreasing the task skill level.
• The activities in this book have been used by many teachers over many years – we all seem to keep re-inventing the wheel – so this book will hopefully give you some generic sheets you have used already and some new ones too!
• Each sheet comes with an ‘Outcomes and Task’ page. Once again, this is a guide only with suggested activities. It may also be used for a guide for a parent or classroom helper who is assisting with the literacy session in your classroom.
• These sheets reflect the different and integral parts of a literacy session – teaching strategies of modelled, guided and independent reading.
• When using these sheets for the first time with a reading group, the instructions will need to be explained thoroughly and completed with teacher guidance. After a few times of using a particular sheet, it will become an independent activity – a valuable tool in your literacy session and guided reading groups.
• My suggestion is to balance using these generic sheets with specific activity sheets or activities dealing with the text explicitly (such as comprehension strategies).
• My hope is that this book will ease the burden of creating constant guided reading activities and tasks. Also to provide well-planned, outcome-based activities with some hints and strategies for your guided reading session.
• An extension activity or two has been included with every activity sheet for either fast finishers or extending students.
• A suggestion is to highlight the exact outcome that is your teaching point for any one particular reading group.
Enjoy and happy teaching!
You may want to check out other resources at my TpT store - more on Comprehension Strategies and English Concepts!