PDF (Acrobat) Document File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
Opinion writing is one of the 3 types of writing specified in the
Common Core State Standards for Writing. Students are asked to write opinion pieces in which they introduce a topic, state an opinion, supply reasons for the opinion, and provide some sense of closure.
To achieve mastery, students decidedly benefit from abundant opportunities for practice. To this end, 30 opinion writing prompts follow and provide real world contexts for kids to acquire new vocabulary, build background knowledge, apply a consistent structure to responses (both verbal and written), and develop strong writing skills integral for future success.
• 30 highly engaging opinion writing prompts set in real world contexts and designed to complement topics of study in science, social studies, and ELA. For teacher convenience, each prompt includes one page with and one page without a sentence stem.
• 30 video clip suggestions from YouTube for 15 of the prompts that can be used to create a common experience and build background knowledge for all learners. Is YouTube blocked in your school? No problem! Follow the super simple instructions included to download video clips from home in advance using the free website KeepVid.
• Prompts lend themselves easily to differentiation so that learning needs of diverse learners can be met at the sentence or paragraph level.
• Graphic organizer for students writing at the paragraph level.
• Assessment rubric for students writing at the paragraph level.
• Sample model paragraph for first writing prompt.
• Blank page with ruled lines that can be photocopied multiple times for lengthier writing responses that will extend beyond the given prompt page.
I sincerely hope that you will find this resource useful and it will save you precious time in preparation. Please know that any and all feedback is genuinely welcome!