1. These Lesson Plans explain that all plane figures or shapes have the characteristic of area. The area of a shape can be found by either "tiling" the shape or tracing the shape onto a sheet of graph paper and counting the square units.
2. Students begin by finding the area of several smaller benchmark shapes and then use these areas as a reference point to estimate the area of additional classroom objects.
3. Students work with square cm, square in, square m, square ft, and can estimate with improvised units.
4. Students will also find the area of third grade polygons including triangles and the quadrilaterals.
5. These Lesson Plans include graph paper and templates that allow teachers to modify and create additional practice problems for students.