1. These Lesson Plans partition shapes into equal parts and explore unit fractions, or fractions with a numerator of 1 (fraction 1/b).
2. Students will learn that fractions with a numerator greater than 1 (fraction a/b) are made up of a sum of unit fractions.
3. Students will partition shapes, draw fractions, and create equations to show fractions with a numerator greater than 1 as a sum of unit fractions. For example:
5/4 = 1/4 + 1/4 + 1/4 + 1/4 + 1/4
4. Students will solve word problems that involve fractions that are both less than and greater than one whole. Students will learn the importance of using the same size "one whole" when drawing fractions. (Third Grade Standard 3.NF.A.3.D).
5. Third grade students work with fractions that have denominators of 2, 3, 4, 6, and 8.