1. These Lesson Plans cover the creation of fractions by using "tick marks" to mark off equal lengths on number lines starting at 0. Each length is made up of a unit fraction, or a fraction with a numerator of 1 (fraction 1/b). The unit fractions that third grade students work with are 1/2, 1/3, 1/4, 1/6, and 1/8.
2. Students will learn that fractions with a numerator greater than 1 (fraction a/b) are made up of a sum of unit fractions.
3. Students will solve word problems and locate fractions greater than one whole on the number lines.
4. Students will also locate equivalent fractions on number lines up to three wholes.
5. Third grade students work with denominators of 2, 3, 4, 6, and 8.