1. These Lesson Plans explain how to draw pictures and create number lines to compare fractions that either have the same numerator (2/6 < 2/3) or the same denominator (6/4 > 3/4).
2. Students will solve word problems by partitioning number lines and shapes into equal parts to compare fractions that are within one whole.
3. Students will also solve word problems by drawing pictures and equal intervals on number lines to compare fractions that are greater than one whole.
4. Students will also combine (a) 1/2's, 1/4's, and 1/8's and (b) 1/2's, 1/3's, 1/6's on a single line to continue fraction comparisons.
5. Students will gain an understanding of the importance of using the same size "one whole" when comparing fractions.
6. Third grade students work with fractions that have a denominator of 2, 3, 4, 6, and 8.