Are you a 3rd Grade teacher that loves teaching GATE? Do you love using Graphic Organizers to help students organize their ideas? Do you love applying Prompts of Depth and Complexity in your classroom? Use these Prompts of Depth and Complexity Graphic Organizers as an extension to your Third Grade Houghton Mifflin Reading Curriculum to reach Common Core and all levels of Depth of Knowledge.
After reading each story in your HM anthology, use these Graphic Organizers as a response to literature, as a literacy center activity, independent/partner activity, literature circles, guided reading groups, and as a template for students to work collaboratively in groups to complete maps together.
Every D&C Graphic Organizer aligns with each of HM’s specific Comprehension Skill Focus for the assigned story. Purposeful Teaching Tools has created a way for you to teach each theme’s comprehension skill focus through the use of Graphic Organizers and Depth and Complexity Icons.
- 20 Combined Graphic Organizers with Prompts of Depth and Complexity for the following 3rd Grade HM stories in Theme 1, Theme 2, Theme 3, Theme 4, Theme 5, and Theme 6:
1) Lost and Found
2) The Ballad of Mulan
3) The Waterfall
4) The Keeping Quilt
5) Anthony Reynoso: Born to Rope
6) The Talking Cloth
7) Dancing Rainbows
9) The Mysterious Giant of Barletta
10) Raising Dragons
11) The Garden of Abdul Gasazi
12) Nights of the Pufflings
13) Seal Surfer
14) Two Days in May
15) Across the Wide Dark Sea
16) Yunmi and Halmoni’s Trip
17) Trapped by Ice!
18) Pepita Talks Twice
19) Poppa’s New Pants
20) Ramona Quimby, Age 8
These D&C Graphic Organizers Include:
- Teaching suggestions and Ideas on How to Use the D&C Graphic Organizers
- Space for students to locate textual evidence and site page number(s)
- Photos with Student and Teacher Samples
Using D&C Icons, students reach the different levels of Depth of Knowledge and follow Common Core State Standards in English Language Arts by thinking beyond the text and reaching higher levels of thinking and learning while reading.
Types of Instruction:
Whole Group (Display on SMARTBoard using Power Point or Projector)
- Collaborative Group Discussions (As Task Cards) and present to the class.
- Use in conjunction with Purposeful Teaching Tools’ Depth and Complexity Student Note Taking Cards by having students find proof/examples of how these icons are found in the text and locate page numbers (write them on the notecards) first, THEN fill in the D&C Graphic Organizers with specific details after.
- Partner Work (As Task Cards or Handouts)
- Independent Work (as Handouts)
- Homework (as Handout)
- Literature Circles
- Guided reading groups
- RTI (Response to Intervention)
- Enrichment Reading Groups
- Reading Comprehension Skill Challenge
Graphic Organizers do not include any images from the Houghton Mifflin Reading Program. This product solely serves as a supplement to the anthology stories.
Want to try it out for FREE? Go to this link:
HM 3rd Grade Graphic Organizers w/ Prompts of Depth and Complexity FREEBIES
Literacy Centers | Literature Circles | Comprehension Skill Focus | Reading Comprehension Focus | RTI | Enrichment | Higher Level Reading Group | Reading Workshop | Reading Centers | Third Grade Common Core Reading | HM Common Core | Reading Response | Reading Log | Reading Response Log | Reading Comprehension | Third Grade Reading Comprehension | Textual Evidence | Site Source | Site Page Numbers | Page Reference | Response to Intervention | Book Clubs | 3rd Grade | Depth and Complexity Prompts | Depth and Complexity Icons | Prompts of Depth and Complexity | Depth and Complexity Chart | Third Grade | Houghton Mifflin | HM Reading Series | Common Core | HM Reading Comprehension | Depth and Complexity | Third Grade Reading | Third Grade Common Core Reading | Third Grade HM | HM Third Grade | HM Level 3 | ELA | GATE Icons | GATE | Gifted and Talented Educators | Icons | HM Theme 1 | HM Theme 2 | HM Theme 3 |HM Theme 4 | HM Theme 5 | HM Theme 6 | Lost and Found | The Ballad of Mulan | Mulan | The Waterfall | The Keeping Quilt | Anthony Reynoso: Born to Rope | Anthony Reynoso | The Talking Cloth | Dancing Rainbows | Dogzilla | The Mysterious Giant of Barletta | The Mysterious Giant | Raising Dragons | The Garden of Abdul Gasazi | Garden of Abdul | Nights of the Pufflings | Pufflin | Pufflings | Seal Surfer | Two Days in May | Across the Wide Dark Sea | Yunmi and Halmoni’s Trip | Trapped by Ice! | Pepita Talks Twice | Poppa’s New Pants | Ramona Quimby, Age 8 | Ramona Quimby | Graphic Organizers | HM Graphic Organizers | Graphic Organizers and Depth and Complexity | 3rd Grade Graphic Organizers | Graphic Organizers in Third Grade | Houghton Mifflin Graphic Organizers | Graphic Organizers for Comprehension Skills | Reading Comprehension Skills | HM Skill Focus |HM Comprehension Focus | Graphic Organizers in Reading Comprehension | Third Grade Graphic Organizers | Graphic Organizers in Third Grade