This product focuses on the four critical areas of 3rd grade mathematics identified in the Common Core State Standards.
In Grade 3, instructional time should focus on four critical areas:
(1) developing understanding of multiplication and division and strategies for multiplication and division within 100
(2) developing understanding of fractions, especially unit fractions (fractions with numerator 1)
(3) developing understanding of the structure of rectangular arrays and of area
(4) describing and analyzing two-dimensional shapes.
© Copyright 2010. National Governors Association Center for Best Practices and Council of Chief State School Officers. All rights reserved.
These activities focus on the following Common Core State Standards.
3.OA.1, 2, 3, 4, 3.NF.1, 2, 3, 3.MD.7, 3.G.1,2
There are four activities in this resource. The activities may be used in a variety of ways.
1. End of the Year Review of the Four Critical Areas in 3rd Grade Math
2. Review of a Single Unit Taught During the Year
3. Activity While Teaching a Particular Standard or Objective
There are 16 tasks in this resource. Each task has a group task card and handouts for the students to complete. Some tasks involve manipulatives and grid paper.
There are four tasks for each of the four critical areas. For Activity 1 - Multiplication/Division, each of the four task cards may be placed at four different stations. After placing students into four groups each group will be assigned a station. The groups will complete the task at their first station and then rotate to another station. This will continue until all stations have been visited. This same procedure may be followed for the remaining activities.
Included In This Resource:
1. Teacher Notes
2. 4 Tasks on Multiplication/Division - Arrays, Area Models, Equal Sized Groups
3. 4 Tasks on Fractions - Unit Fractions, Comparing Fractions
4. 4 Tasks on Area - Rectangular Arrays, Count Square Units, Mulitply Side Lengths
5. 4 Tasks on 2-Dimensional Shapes - Classify Shapes, Give Fractional Part of a Shape.
6. Grid to Copy
7. 4 Different Pages of "Objects" to be Used as Manipulatives to Make Arrays
8. Student Handouts for 15 Tasks
9. Group Answer Sheet for Task S with page of 2-D shapes
10. Detailed Answer Keys
For additional 3rd Grade Resources click on a link below.
3rd Grade Math - Fractions - Common Core Domain 3.NF
Common Core Math 3rd Grade Measurement (MD) Activities Concepts of Area
Common Core Math 3rd Grade Measurement (3.MD.7c, 3.MD.7d) Activities
Common Core Math 3rd Grade Measurement (3.MD.8) Activities Perimeter and Area
Common Core Math 3rd Grade Geometry Activities with I Have - Who Has Game
Easter Math Common Core Activities Grade 3 (3.OA.3, 3.OA.8, 3.NF.3b, 3.NF.3d)
Created by Hilda Ratliff