This product contains the weekly packets that I use with the Scholastic News for grade 3. This product will be growing throughout the year. Each weekend I will create a new packet for the next Scholastic and I will update this file.
Each packet will have different skills, but I have included 5 sections, which include the following:
1. Prior knowledge: This section will help the students activate their prior knowledge.
2. Skill Check: This section will contain some kind of skill related to helping them become better readers. For instance: The first packet has text features and the students have to highlight the text features they find in the main article.
3. Comprehension: This section has comprehension activities for them to do. It has some close reading, short answer questions and a place for the students to record their answers to the quiz on the back.
4. Dig Deeper: This section will just have more activities related to the main article. For instance: The first packet has a vocabulary, main idea, and summary question on it.
5. Extended Activity: This section will more than likely contain a writing activity.
This is how I use these packets. This group is an independent group. They do the prior knowledge first. Then, they listen to the story on the iPad or their computers. Then, they read the article together as a group. Then, they complete the activities. You should probably do the first one together so they know your expectations.
If you want an editable version after you make a purchase, please send me a message. Note that the fonts will not be the same (on the editable version) unless you download the fonts I used.
It currently has activities for the following grade 3 Scholastic News magazines:
1. Perfect Pets?
2. Making the Beasts
3. Who Will Win?
4. Would You Eat This?
5. Meet America's Newest Symbol
6. Facing the Flood
7. Deep Diving Robots
8. The Big Dig
9. Trump Wins
10. Game Changer
11. New Viking Clues?
12. Desperate for Help
13. Coming to America
14. The President's First Day
15. Tigers Bounce Back
16. Kids Fought for Change
17. She Paved the Way
18. A Bright Idea
19. Next Stop Mars
20. Otters on the Job
21. Monster Snakes Invade
22. Attack of the Ads
I do use an Apple computer so if you have an problems with pictures not showing up or the document not opening you can email me and get a new one. If you have any suggestions, concerns, or questions please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thanks and enjoy.
VIEW MY BLOG AND DON'T FORGET TO FOLLOW ME!
LIKE MY PAGE ON FACEBOOK!