Social Studies Bingo Questions:
If my source is based upon firsthand historical knowledge of an event is is a __________ source
a. Primary source
If my source is based upon secondhand historical knowledge of an event it is a ______________ source.
a. secondary source
Put your chip on the rest of this phrase “history is written by the ____________”
1. What is our continent?
a. North America
2. What state do we live in?
a. North Carolina
3. What city is our school in?
4. Put your chip on one of the regions of our nation?
a. Southeast, Northeast, Midwest, West, Southwest
5. Put your chip on a cardinal direction
a. North, East, South, West
1. Who were the first people to settle on the continent of North America? Some example are Cherokee, Chocktaw and …….
a. Native Americans
2. How many English colonies were there originally?
3. What continent were the original colonists in North America from?
4. This is the colony (this colony is now a state) where the first permanent settlement was made.
5. Put your chip on a reason why colonists came to the New World
a. To have a better life, find riches, own land, adventure, practice their religion freely
6. Put your chip on a reason why the Native American population declined after the arrival of European colonists:
a. European diseases, conflict with Europeans over land, conflict with Europeans over resources
1. Put a chip on the rest of this phrase: “No taxation, without _____________”
2. Put your chip on the name of the conflict in which British soldiers fired into a crowd of colonial protesters and killed 5 colonists.
a. The Boston Massacre
3. Put your chip on the English tax that taxed sugar.
a. The Sugar Act
4. 4. Put your chip on the English tax that taxed paper.
a. The Stamp Act
5. 5. Put your chip on the English tax that taxed tea.
a. The Tea Act
6. Put your chip on the name of the colonial protest in which colonists hijacked an English ship and dumped a very valuable product in a very famous harbor.
a. The Boston Tea Party
7. Put your chip on the continent that the ruling King over the colonies was from.
8. Put your chip over the person that wrote the declaration of independence
a. Thomas Jefferson
9. Put your chip over the group that won the Revolutionary War.
a. The colonists
The Slave Trade:
1. To what continent did slave traders travel to kidnap individuals in order to force them into slavery?
2. In what shape was the route of the trans-Atlantic slave trade?
3. Put your chip on the year in which slavery began in America (later to become the United States)
4. Put your chip on the name of the voyage across the Atlantic Ocean between Africa and North America/Caribbean.
a. The Middle Passage
5. Put your chip that describes when African would free themselves and take control of the ship to reroute it.
Life of a slave:
1. This is the name of the large farms where cash crops were grown and Africans were enslaved to work.
2. This is the name of the place where Africans recently kidnapped were purchased and sold into slavery.
a. Slave markets
3. Put your chip on one American right that enslaved Africans were deprived of.
a. Voting, marrying, education, owning land
4. Put your chip on the enslaved woman that escaped to the North to then return to the South and free other enslaved peoples. She is also known as “Moses”.
a. Harriet Tubman