Also included in
- Keep your third graders engaged during holiday times with these standards-based digital escape rooms. These low-prep online breakouts are a great way to encourage collaboration, review important math skills, and practice critical thinking skills. Try "Capture the Candy Corn Man" at your class Hallow$30.00$37.00Save $7.00
This third grade math activity will keep students engaged this fall, and is perfect to use at a class Thanksgiving party. The tricky turkeys have locked your students in a barn and they must use their knowledge of multiplication and division facts, subtracting three-digit numbers with regrouping, and rounding to the nearest ten or hundred in order to escape! This online breakout can be used by students individually, in small groups, or as a whole class activity. Escape rooms encourage collaboration and cooperative learning, and are perfect for practice, review, or remediation. For a greater challenge, you may want to check out Operation Unlock the Oven, another Thanksgiving themed escape room for 3rd grade math standards.
This escape room uses a Google Form™ to automate the breakout process. Google™ accounts are not required! Anybody with an internet connection, device, and browser can complete this online escape room. There are no clues to hide or answers to check, making this activity easy to implement! Optional paper copies of the clues are included for students to show their work on and to make the escape room even more engaging. These are not meant to be a stand-alone paper version of this product, but are meant to accompany the digital escape room.
In order for students to complete these puzzles, they need to be able to:
- Find missing factors in multiplication problems
- Solve single-digit multiplication and division problems
- Subtract within 1,000 with regrouping (including a word problem)
- Round to the nearest 10 or 100 to solve two "Guess My Number" puzzles
- Complete simple substitution ciphers
Included in this third grade Thanksgiving math activity:
- Quickstart Guide with link to the online escape room
- Option to save the Google Form™ to your own drive
- Printable version of a cipher disk and the puzzled (to accompany online version-not meant as a stand-alone escape room)
- Success signs for students to snap photos with
- Detailed answer key and teacher tips
- Do students need to have Gmail™ accounts? NO! Anyone with internet access and a tablet, computer, or even phone can complete the breakout.
- How long will this take? That is the hardest question as the answer varies depending on each classroom, student, or group. Most students will be able to complete this activity in under 45 minutes. You can allow 60 minutes to be safe. Some students with a firm grasp on the concepts covered in this escape room will be able to complete the puzzles very quickly (20-30 minutes), others will take longer.
- Will students have to search the web to figure out the puzzles? NO! All of the information needed will be provided in the Google Form™. The math in this activity is all standards-based.
- Can this be used for distance learning? Absolutely! There are tools in the PDF to help you successfully implement this in a virtual learning setting.