Also included in
- This bundle includes over 100 Career Exploration Reading Passages and Questions designed to help students develop strong comprehension skills while also becoming familiar with a variety of options for occupations.To provide flexibility, for use in distance learning and/or a classroom setting, the f$32.00$56.00Save $24.00
- These Reading Comprehension Passages and Questions for Guided Reading Levels C through P (DRA Levels 3 - 38) are designed to help students learn to read carefully and to find evidence to support their answers to text-based questions. To provide flexibility, for use in distance learning and/or a cl$54.00$105.50Save $51.50
- Kindergarten - Fourth Grade Reading Passages & Questions for Guided Reading Levels A-T: Also Available Separately! This bundle, which includes 500 reading passages with questions, is designed to help students develop strong comprehension skills.To provide flexibility, for use in distance lea$125.00$228.00Save $103.00
- This reading comprehension bundle now includes 125 passages designed to help kids work toward the goals of reading, comprehending and thoughtfully responding to Guided Reading Levels M through T text. To provide flexibility, for use in distance learning and/or a classroom setting, the following opti$36.00$66.00Save $30.00
These Career Exploration Reading Passages and Questions are designed to help students develop strong comprehension skills while also becoming familiar with a variety of options for occupations.
To provide flexibility, for use in distance learning and/or a classroom setting, the following options are offered:
1) A link to this document in Google Slides
2) Ready for use with the new TpT Digital Tool
3) Printable, as a traditional PDF
Over the years, I have found that students who can imagine themselves in successful careers have much more motivation to excel in school. I’m thrilled to offer this series of resources designed to help students learn about various careers while also developing listening, reading and writing skills. These passages are ideal for use in lessons designed to help students develop AVID strategies for reading.
This is the second set in this series. Working through these passages, students will become familiar with 15 career paths.
These passages are appropriate to read to students in first and second grade. It is truly never too early to help students begin to imagine possibilities! With each passage, there is a simple written response sheet prompting students to consider whether they would be interested in the career field and benefits/drawbacks of the career option.
Students reading at (or about) Guided Reading Levels O and P are generally able to read these passages and then answer the text evidence questions. I recommend taking time to discuss and introduce any vocabulary that will be unfamiliar to your students.
In addition to the written response page specifically for younger students, five multiple choice questions and two written response questions are included with each passage.
The multiple choice questions focus on topics such as:
★ central message
★ main idea of specific paragraphs
★ recognizing statements of opinion
Depending on the level of your students, the passages in this set can be ideal for close reading lessons, small group instruction and/or independent work, morning work or homework.
I truly hope your students find these passages enjoyable and that these passages help open students’ minds to new possibilities.
The following passages are included in this pack:
★ John McKay: Pilot
★ Sarah Crowley: Sure-Stop Manager
★ Amanda Davies: Website Developer
★ Phillip Mickens: Dairy Farmer
★ Jessica Higgins: Double-Decker Tour Guide
★ Lydia Martinez: Pet Groomer
★ Ronald Atwood: Dental Hygienist
★ Arthur Bennington: Historian
★ Jimmy Swanson: Forklift Operator
★ Alicia Fossaway: Prosecutor
★ Paulie Gaines: Bowling Alley Owner
★ Scott Greeson: Corrections Officer
★ Lincoln Scott: Civil Engineer
★ Elissa Novak: Stuntwoman
★ Dennis Ferguson: Milk Hauler
These activities support the following Student Outcomes and related Common Core Standards:
★ Students will identify the main topic of a multi-paragraph text as well as the focus of specific paragraphs within the text (ELA-Literacy.RI.2.2).
★ Students will determine the meaning of words and phrases in a text (ELA-Literacy.RI.2.4 and RI.3.4).
★ Students will ask and answer questions to demonstrate understanding of a text, referring explicitly to the text as the basis for the answers (ELA-Literacy.RL.2.1 & RI3.1 ).
★ Students will read with sufficient accuracy and fluency to support comprehension (ELA-LITERACY.RF.2.4 and RF.3.4).
★ Students will read grade-level text with purpose and understanding (ELA-LITERACY.RF.2.4.A and RF.3.4.A).
Thanks so much for stopping by and taking a look!
Sincerely, Anne Gardner (NBCT, Literacy)
* Please note: An answer key is included for the multiple choice questions. For many of the written response questions, answers can vary and are considered correct as long as the student logically uses evidence from the text to support his or her answer.
This PDF file is available immediately upon purchase.