Ever wish your students would read word problems multiple times to understand and solve the problem? This collection of 10 common core perimeter word problems are on a graphic organizer that uses close reading strategies. Some of the problems require students to find the perimeter, while other problems let them find an unknown side measurement.
Students read the perimeter word problem four different times with a different purpose each time to help understand the problem:
★ Read #1: Identify what the problem is about
★ Read #2: Identify the numbers in the problem and what they describe
★ Read #3: Create a model or drawing to represent the problem
★ Read #4: Write the equation that represents the problem.
After four reads, students have said to me that this is the FIRST TIME they ever actually understood word problems and knew how to solve them!
Some of my other best-selling products you may like! Companion resource/product links below you may want to include in your collection of lesson plans. Make Math fun and rewarding!
★★★★ 4 Star reviews make this a great addition to your classroom!
• 3rd Grade Elapsed Time Word Problems - Close Reading!
• Magic Square Puzzle Bundle: Addition and Subtraction Math Facts
• Match Up - Building Better Problem Solvers. For Kindergarten, 1st, 2nd & 3rd.
• 3rd Grade Word Problems - Close Reading!
• 3rd Grade Two Step Word Problems SET 2- Close Reading!
• Fact Fluency Games Tool Kit: Addition and Subtraction Facts – includes 56 Domino cards!
• Tricky Tens Game - Ways to Make Ten
• Arrow Math - Addition and Subtraction on a Hundred Chart
• Cross One Out - Math Warm Ups that Promote Reasoning