A very simple to use Excel spreadsheet for use by students, teachers, counselors, or parents for calculating and comparing the cost of attending 4-year colleges or universities. Especially useful for teachers of AVID!!!
To complete the spreadsheet, the user enters values for:
1) the annual cost of tuition and fees
2) the annual cost of room and board
3) the annual value of earned scholarships (as a negative number)
4) the annual value of earned grants (as a negative number)
5) the annual value of anticipated work-study (as a negative number)
6) the annual value of subsidized and unsubsidized loans (as negative numbers)
The formulas embedded in the spreadsheet automatically calculate:
1) total cost of attendance for four-years
2) annual out-of-pocket expense for the student/family
3) total out-of-pocket expense for a four-year degree
4) total loan debt upon graduation (the spreadsheet does not account for unsubsidized loan interest accrued during attendance, or for loan interest that will be paid after graduation).
Directions for where (and where not) to enter values are included on the spreadsheet.