1. In this second set of Lesson Plans for Standard 4.NF.B.3.B, students explore the "inverse" or opposite relationship between addition and subtraction. Mixed numbers with like denominators are subtracted by (a) counting up from the lower mixed number and (b) using improper fractions.
2. Students will model both types of solutions using number lines that are provided.
3. Students will practice addition skills learned in the earlier grades such as "counting up by tens" and using incremental addition along a number line.
4. Using a number line, students will break improper fractions into a sum of smaller fractions as a method of finding the equivalent mixed number. (Fourth Grade Standard 4.NF.B.3.B).
5. These Lesson Plans include templates that allow teachers to modify and create additional practice problems for students.