Students will learn more about electricity by studying about Thomas Alva Edison and a few ways he used electricity as an inventor. This lesson covers Edison’s life as an inventor, with an emphasis on the light bulb. “SL4 – Thomas Edison the Inventor Curriculum – Electricity” was created for fourth grade readers.
In this curriculum set, you will get
1) Lesson plans (4 to 5 days)
2) Reading sheet adapted for fourth-grade readers
3) Deeper level thinking class discussion questions that focus on failure and perseverance
4) Comprehension questions and a study guide
5) Class activity that explores how to make your own light bulb
6) Worksheet that applies an “inventor’s mentality” to other goals in life
7) Inquiry questions for students to explore related topics about other inventions
8) Vocabulary worksheet
9) Reading and Writing worksheet that shows the importance of tenacity amid failure
If you are looking for fourth-grade curricula on other aspects of electricity as a topic, please visit my store.
This curriculum meets the following Common Core Standards for fourth grade:
Reading Standards for Literature - Standard No. 4.4
- Through the vocabulary worksheet, students are asked to "determine the meaning of words and phrases as they are used in a text."
Reading Standards for Informational Text - Standard No. 4.1
- Students are asked to "refer to details and examples in a text when explaining what the text says explicitly and when drawing inferences from the text" in the deeper level thinking class discussion questions.
Reading Standards for Informational Text - Standard No. 4.2
- In the study guide comprehension questions, students are asked to "summarize the text." Teachers are given a summary in the teacher's guide.
Reading Standards for Informational Text – Standard No. 4.3
- Through the study guide questions and game card questions, students are asked to “explain . . . concepts in a historical, scientific” text that focuses on Thomas Edison and the light bulb.
Writing Standards - Standard No. 4.7
- The inquiry questions help students "conduct short research projects that build knowledge through investigation of different aspects of a topic" on a topic related to the story.
“SL4 – Thomas Edison the Inventor Curriculum – Electricity” is copyrighted (c) 2013 by S. Kay Seifert. All rights reserved. No part of this material (in part or as a whole) may be altered. Teachers and parents may use this material for students in the classroom or at home, reproducing student sheets for personal use. This curriculum may not be commercially reproduced for print, electronic, or other formats and/or platforms, and may not be distributed electronically or commercially, unless written permission is given by S. Kay Seifert.