December Christmas Passages that are CCSS aligned with the ELA literature and narrative writing standards. The unit focuses on the reading skill of story elements of inferring character traits, Plot Development, and Theme. This unit is great to use for teacher observation because of the included lesson plans and rigorous activities.
Christmas Literacy Unit that includes
- Christmas Themed Narrative Writing
- Story Elements integrated with Christmas
- Character Traits
- Plot Development
- Literary Theme
Check out our other Christmas units:
Purpose of Unit
We created this unit because teachers in the upper elementary have so much to teach that they rarely have time to fit in anything extra, especially holiday activities. With this unit teachers can meet the demands of CCSS and have fun with integrating Christmas and Winter Holidays into the lessons. A lot of Christmas material is geared towards the younger grades with crafts, but this is full of rigor and higher-order thinking skills that the teacher will not feel like he/she has lost any valuable teaching time.
This literacy based Christmas unit integrates the literacy skills of story elements with the fun of Christmas. This unit will last 2-3 weeks and can help a teacher with her planning during this busy time of the year.
3 overarching learning goals:
• I can identify, describe, and sequence the elements of plot.
• I can identify theme by analyzing plot and characters.
• I can define and infer character traits.
In this bundle a total of 8 different lessons are included:
- 3 lessons for plot development
- 2 for universal theme
- 3 for character traits
These lesson plans would be great to use for a teacher evaluation or even a substitute. Included in the lesson plans are :
- Enduring Understandings
- Essential Questions
- Skills/Learning Goals
- Motivational Hooks/Anticipatory Set with engaging Christmas music and videos links.
All printouts have a cute Christmas Theme to make them more fun for the students. Materials that are included are:
4 Classic Christmas Passages / Winter Passages
• Hans Christian Anderson’s:
- “The Little Fir Tree”
- “The Little Match Girl”
• The Brothers Grimm:
- “The Elves and Shoemaker”
• Frances Browne’s:
- “The Christmas Cuckoo”
Printouts included in the unit
- Story Plot Annotation Bookmark Codes and Rubric
- Anchor Chart and Graphic Organizers
- FAST acronym printable for inferring character traits using their feelings, actions, speech, and thoughts.
- Character Traits Lists to put in notebooks or folder.
- Samples of highlighted and annotated passage for inferring character traits.
- Christmas themed Venn Diagram to compare/contrast character traits
- Pre/Post concept check on vocabulary
- Ticket out the door (exit slips)
- Foldable plotline with Santa illustrating the plot events along with printed definitions or blank lines for students to fill in
- Story Plotline on North Pole graphic organizer
- Template to make vertical plotline
- Graphic organizer with acronym to identify theme
- List of Universal Literary Themes for student’s notebooks
- Christmas Themed “Help Wanted” Ad Template with rubric
- Prewriting story elements snowman template and lined journal paper for students to create their own Christmas story
- Completed samples of each task to maximize the teacher’s understanding of the lesson plan
- Black/White copies and color copies.
- Summative/multiple choice assessment for plot and theme.
We hope you enjoy this unit! Thanks!