4th Gd ELA Leveled Reading Comprehension Assessment BUNDLE -Proficiency Scales
What educators are saying
Products in this Bundle (8)
showing 1-5 of 8 products
Learning Goals and Scales are the ultimate Standards Based Grading tool! They don't just motivate a Growth Mindset, they define how students can demonstrate mastery. Every learning standard is broken down into 4 levels of Differentiation. Also known as scaffolded learning. These Reading Comprehension Passages give students the opportunity to demonstrate progress incrementally, which facilitates their confidence and motivation! These Posters lead students up a progressive learning path that mirrors the way they develop concepts. Aligned to Bloom’s or Marzano’s Taxonomy of cognitive skills. From easiest-hardest: (Recall/Retrieval, Comprehension, Analysis/Application, and Knowledge Utilization/Synthesis). This resources covers every Common Core ELA standard in multiple ways (Reading Literature, Reading Information, Writing, Speaking & Listening, and Language). Posters will help you to present and post the scales for students, the Assessments will help you to objectively differentiate student groups, and the Portfolio pages will provide a quick and easy way to track student pre- and post-unit progress.
Save up to 30% by purchasing all of these ELA resources at one time!
4. Level 4 indicates an advanced knowledge of the skill.
3. Level 3 represents proficiency in each math standard. see the stars*
2. Level 2 will include content from the previous grade level and new vocabulary that must be applied correctly for mastery of level 3.
1. Level 1 will either be derived from sub-skills of the standard, or from the background knowledge of earlier grade levels.
Students review EASY learning goals from previous grade levels in sections, “Levels” 1 and 2. These first two levels set them up to see simple examples of the connections between what they know, and what they must do this year. “Level” 3, or section 3, includes questions they should master this year. “Level” 4 includes optional enrichment tasks for your gifted and talented thinkers.
Need some ideas to quickly modify tasks and engage different learners? Follow this link to get some quick tips for INSTANT DIFFERENTIATION. It take seconds to implement!
How to Use these Posters:
1. Print the ones you are currently planning instruction for. (color/black and white)
*Option: Display them digitally on a white board while you teach!
2. Briefly review levels 1, 2, and 3 (in that order) so your students can access prior knowledge and pre-assess themselves.
3. Refer to the poster while you teach and practice new skills. Students will see their progression.
4. Offer examples for each level of the proficiency scale (See Assessments linked below!)
Assessments can be used as pre- and post-tests for students to demonstrate and document mastery and growth.
5. Refer to the levels 1 and 2 to create appropriate modifications for targeted instruction or small group practice.
6. Use Level 4 to modify or create enrichment tasks for your gifted and talented students.
How to Use these Assessments:
1. Print the standards you are currently planning to teach.
(Tasks for Levels 1 -4 fit on a single sheet of paper, two-sided.)
2. You may briefly review the standard and levels 1, 2, and 3 (in that order) so your students can access prior knowledge and pre-assess themselves. OR give it cold and see how they do as a pre-assessment.
3. Correct the pre-assessment, and share students’ results with them. Emphasize that this is NOT for a grade, but just to identify a starting place.
4. Use their scores to plan instruction, practice, review, small groups, or homework for your levels. (Sometimes I combine 3-4 and 1-2, so there are only two groups to differentiate for.)
5. Use the SAME Assessment sheet as a post-test!
Students will see their progress concretely! They should be allowed to correct old mistakes, and complete as many levels as possible to show mastery.
6. Record their final level in your gradebook.
7. Save the assessment in a portfolio folder to document student progress.
These are handy for parent conferences and teacher evaluations.
*Option: Use the leveled reading passages given, or assign the “ANY TEXT” worksheets as independent reading response forms! Great for homework or differentiated classroom practice.
You can revise the EDITABLE Posters with Marzano Proficiency Scales. (See link to grade-level Posters below.) Whether your district requires specific phrasing for each scale, or your State standards are slightly modified from the original Common Core language, you will be able to adjust the title, descriptions, and goal statements for your State or district. The content for Levels 1 and 2 will remain the same to ensure an accurate progression of skills and copyright. Visit this blog post for examples and directions. The content of the poster align to the content of the Leveled Assessments.
Editable Posters with Learning Goals and Scales
This Bundle has a variety of in-person and digital possibilities;
1. ELA Assessments for Reading Literature – PDF version for printing, or assigned through Google Classroom with TPTs DIGITAL ACTIVITY feature.
BONUS* - Vocabulary Quizzes for each passage have been added to the end of this document!
2. ELA Assessments for Reading Information – PDF version for printing, or assigned through Google Classroom with TPTs DIGITAL ACTIVITY feature.
BONUS* - Vocabulary Quizzes for each passage have been added to the end of this document!
3. ELA Assessment Rubrics for Writing, Language, and Speaking & Listening - PDF version for printing, or assigned through Google Classroom with TPTs DIGITAL ACTIVITY feature.
4. ELA Posters with Marzano Proficiency Scales - PDF version for printing; partial editing with a PDF reader on your desktop, or shared through Google Classroom with TPTs DIGITAL ACTIVITY feature.
5. ELA Student Portfolio Pages - PDF version for printing, or assigned through Google Classroom with TPTs DIGITAL ACTIVITY feature.
6. Spelling and Vocabulary Differentiation Menu - PDF version for printing, or assigned through Google Classroom with TPTs DIGITAL ACTIVITY feature.
7. ELA Latin & Greek Root Words “Who Has” Game Sets – PDF version of multiple games for printing, comes as a ZIP File.
8. ELA Assessments for Reading Literature Google Forms – access the link to COPY a folder of 27 different forms, plus an index PDF, plus the PDF version for printing.
9. ELA Assessments for Reading Information Google Forms - access the link to COPY a folder of 27 different forms, plus an index PDF, plus the PDF version for printing.
The Leveled Assessments for ELA are designed with the idea that students learn skills and understand concepts in a progressive way. Instead of presenting students with an assessment that is pass or fail, right or wrong, this assessment recognizes what a child already knows in incremental steps (usually scales 1-2). and creates a clear model of what the child is expected to understand by the end of the year (scales 3-4). Inspired by Marzano's research in “The Art and Science of Teaching” this assessment breaks down every READING standard into four scales from 1-4 (levels of difficulty), with a learning goal statement accompanying each one. The domains of WRITING, SPEAKING, LISTENING, and LANGUAGE are supported with student guides and rubrics so that you can integrate them into your own classroom assignments and activities easily. This makes pre- and post-testing a matter of planning, and not an EXTRA assessment that students have to stress over, or you have to plan extra time for. This are quick and easy to use, so that you can realistically assess a students progress multiple times throughout the year. YEAH!
Proficiency in each ELA standard is represented by a score of 3. A score of 4 indicates an advanced knowledge of the skill, usually above grade level. The tasks assigned to scores of 2 and 1, are either derived from sub-skills of the standard, or from the background knowledge of earlier grade levels.
Please review each preview and get excited about all the work that's been done for you!
Visit my blog for examples of student work, explanations, and tips on grading the assessment using the 4-point scale.
Mrs. L's Leveled Learning LLC
Copyright 2019 by Melanie LiCausi; Mrs. L’s Leveled Learning LLC
Purchasing this resource allows one teacher the right to reproduce materials for his/her own classroom. To share with other, please purchase additional licenses at a discount from your "My Purchases" page. Uploading resources to the internet in any form, for free or for purchase is also a misuse of copyright. EDITABLE content MAY NOT be used to create new products for free or for profit. If you are a coach, principal or district interested in purchasing several licenses, please contact me for a district-wide quote. Thank you for your consideration! firstname.lastname@example.org
*This Bundle may be revised at any time, with new materials and different pricing. Once you have purchased the Bundle, you will always have access to revisions for free. Simply re-download the Bundle from your “My Purchases” page anytime you receive a notice about updates. Click “Follow Me” to receive notices in your TpT inbox. Follow me online at www.mrslsleveledlearning.comwww.mrslsleveledlearning.com