My goal in creating this unit was to provide a realistic alternative to the unit provided by The Office of Curriculum and Professional Development. One of the challenges we face in teaching social studies as a majority immigrant school, is that our students lack sufficient background knowledge. Another struggle is that, with so many English Language Learners, most of our students read at or below grade level, and therefore need heavy scaffolding to access the information in the trade books provided for each unit. I designed this unit to explore the use of different scaffolds and language acquisition strategies over the course of a comprehensive five week long, five day a week unit. Generally, we did not have this kind of time to devote to Social Studies. We did this unit in May and June, after high-stakes testing was over, as a way to explore best-practices in SS to use throughout the year. It was quite successful.