4th Grade ELA Module 1 Unit 3 - Lessons 1-3
This is a pre-teaching bundle for Lessons 1-3 ONLY. Included in this bundle are the following original materials:
1) Analyzing Data pre-teaching lesson for Lesson 1 - work with students to understand what it means to "analyze data" in kid-friendly terms; have students become experts in advance for the Lesson 1 jigsaw activity that they'll need to do the next day. This includes visual picture prompts as well as hand motions to help students memorize the definition and apply it.
2) ELA Module 1 Unit 3 Lesson 1 homework assignment or pre-teaching small group work. There is a homework assignment at the end of Lesson 1 that is just given verbally. This is a typed up version for those students who need to have it on paper or who may need to complete it in a small group or AIS setting.
3) Written Conversation Protocol – introduced in Module 1 Unit 3 Lesson 2 - Prompt Cards - These are prompt cards that you can print out on cardstock and have students keep in their desks for the year. The protocols are an important part of the Engage NY ELA modules.
4) Written Conversation Student Examples - introduced in Module 1 Unit 3 Lesson 2 - This is a visual example of what a "Written Conversation" should look like. This is something that can be used with your whole class when first introducing the Written Conversation protocol prompt cards or can be used to scaffold learning for students in a pre-teaching small group or AIS lesson.
5) List of Close Reading Strategies - Unit 3 Lesson 3 has students review what close reading strategies they have done. This gives students a place to record and keep those strategies they've used so far when reading The Great Law of Peace.
6) ELA Module 1 Unit 3 Lesson 3 Vocabulary Breakdown lesson worksheet - This can be used as a pre-teaching lesson to go over some of the challenging vocabulary (pulled from the article "Smart-Speak" from Unit 3 Lesson 3. Students practice using context clues to determine the meaning of the unknown word.
This is a supplemental Resourse Bundle of worksheets/mini-lessons that I have used with my Special Education students, struggling learners, and AIS Reading/ELA group when teaching Module 1 Unit 3 lessons 1-3.
***This is not a comprehensive bundle of everything you will need to teach these lessons.
These are extra add-on lessons or pre-teaching lessons to help support those struggling learners or differentiate instruction. Help your students feel prepared and ahead of the game when the lesson is then taught whole group! Engage NY did not include very much for pre-teaching and re-teaching within the ELA modules. This is a great place to get some of those resources!
These are supplemental activities/mini-lessons that I used with my fourth grade students, but some of them can also be used with students in other grade levels such as 2nd grade, 3rd grade, 5th grade, 6th grade, Special Education, AIS, small group or whole group.