Students are required to understand what division means and not just memorize an algorithm. They should be able to explain how they arrive at a quotient. In order to understand the process of division students should be presented with various strategies that help them grasp the concept.
The following strategies are presented in this resource.
1. Build a number using Base 10 blocks. Then separate (divide) the number into the number of groups given (the divisor).
2. Divide the number into groups using the number of thousands, hundreds, tens and ones that can be placed into each group.
3. When the dividend is thought of as the area of a rectangle, the divisor is one side of the rectangle and the quotient is the missing side.
4. A second method of using area involves finding multiples of the divisor to add to give the dividend.
5. Subtract multiples of the divisor and record the factor multiplied by the divisor that produced that multiple. When the result of the subtraction is smaller than the divisor, the division stops and the remaining number is the remainder.
There are four activities included in this resource.
Detailed answer keys are provided.
Common Core State Standard: 4.NBT.6
Number and Operations in Base Ten
Use place value understanding and properties of operations to perform multi-digit arithmetic.
6. Find whole-number quotients and remainders with up to four-digit dividends and one-digit divisors, using strategies based on place value, the properties of operations, and/or the relationship between multiplication and division. Illustrate and explain the calculation by using equations, rectangular arrays, and/or area models.
© Copyright 2010. National Governors Association Center for Best Practices and Council of Chief State School Officers. All rights reserved.
Click below for additional 4th grade resources.
Common Core Math 4th Grade Geometry Activities Angles Shapes Symmetry (4.G)
Common Core Math 4th Grade Measurement (MD) Activities Area/Perimeter
Common Core Math 4th Grade Measurement Activities - Angles (4.MD.5,6,7)
Easter Math Common Core Activities Grade 4 (4.OA.3, 4.OA.4, 4.NF.2)
4th Grade Math Multi-Digit Multiplication CCSS 4.NBT.5
4th Grade Math - Equivalent Fractions - Compare Fractions - 4.NF.1, 4.NF.2
4th Grade Math - Multiplication/Division, Fractions, 2-D Shapes, Symmetry
Follow me to be notified when new resources are added!
Created by Hilda Ratliff