4th Grade Math Leveled Assessment for Differentiation Marzano Proficiency Scale
What educators are saying
Learning Goals and Scales are the ultimate Standards Based Grading tool! They don't just motivate a Growth Mindset, they define how students can demonstrate mastery. Every learning standard is broken down into 4 levels of Differentiation. Also known as a scaffolding for learning. These Assessments lead students up a progressive learning path that mirrors the way they develop concepts. Aligned to Bloom’s or Marzano’s Taxonomy of cognitive skills. From easiest-hardest: (Recall/Retrieval, Comprehension, Analysis/Application, and Knowledge Utilization/Synthesis).
4. Level 4 indicates an advanced knowledge of the skill.
3. Level 3 represents proficiency in each math standard. see the stars*
2. Level 2 will include content from the previous grade level and new vocabulary that must be applied correctly for mastery of level 3.
1. Level 1 will either be derived from sub-skills of the standard, or from the background knowledge of earlier grade levels.
Students review EASY learning goals from previous grade levels in sections, “Levels” 1 and 2. These first two levels set them up to see simple examples of the connections between what they know, and what they must do this year. “Level” 3, or section 3, includes questions they should master this year. “Level” 4 includes optional enrichment tasks for your gifted and talented thinkers.
Need some ideas to quickly modify tasks and engage different learners? Follow this link to get some quick tips for INSTANT DIFFERENTIATION. It take seconds to implement!
How to Use these Assessments:
1. Print the standards you are currently planning to teach.
(Tasks for Levels 1 -4 fit on a single sheet of paper, two-sided.)
2. You may briefly review the standard and levels 1, 2, and 3 (in that order) so your students can access prior knowledge and pre-assess themselves. OR give it cold and see how they do as a pre-assessment.
3. Correct the pre-assessment, and share students’ results with them. Emphasize that this is NOT for a grade, but just to identify a starting place.
4. Use their scores to plan instruction, practice, review, small groups, or homework for your levels. (Sometimes I combine 3-4 and 1-2, so there are only two groups to differentiate for.)
5. Use the SAME Assessment sheet as a post-test!
Students will see their progress concretely! They should be allowed to correct old mistakes, and complete as many levels as possible to show mastery.
6. Record their final level in your gradebook.
7. Save the assessment in a portfolio folder to document student progress.
These are handy for parent conferences and teacher evaluations.
Click here to see if your State standards align to Common Core
(as of 2017). Download the FREE PREVIEW to try for yourself!
* This document is strictly aligned to the original Common Core standards and the content is NOT EDITABLE.
Click here to see a video of How to Teach a 4th Grade Math Scale.
Visit my blog for examples of student work, explanations, and tips on grading the assessment using the 4-point scale. Mrs. L's Leveled Learning website
Copyright 2017 by Melanie LiCausi; Mrs. L’s Leveled Learning
Purchasing this product grants permission for use by one teacher in his or her classroom. If you intend to share with other teachers, please purchase additional licenses from your “My Purchases” page at a discount.
* This document is strictly aligned to the original Common Core and the content is NOT EDITABLE.
For an EDITABLE version of the complete document follow this link...
4th Grade Math Assessment with Proficiency Scales - EDITABLE
4th Grade Math BUNDLE with Learning Goals and Scales - EDITABLE
4th Grade CC Math Quizzes - All Standards
4th Grade Math Madness Interactive Power Point Game!
4th Grade Math Student Portfolio Pages - FREE!
4th Grade Common Core Math Posters with Learning Goals and Scales
4th Grade Math Posters (4G.1-3) with Marzano Scales - FREE!
4th Grade Math Assessment Sample 4.G.1-3 FREE!
4th Grade Common Core Math Excel Tracking Sheet with Scales - FREE!
4th Grade ELA Student Portfolio Pages with Marzano Scales - FREE
4th Grade ELA Posters with Marzano Scales Editable Levels All Standards