This flipchart goes with the 4th grade social studies curriculum provided by the state of Louisiana on www.louisianabelieves.com
Unit Two Instruction
Topic One: Early Exploration (4.1.3-4, 4.2.1, 4.2.3)
Connections to the unit claim: Students learn that though the land itself did not change, exploration changed the map when Europeans “discovered” the New World. European exploration of the Americas opened up an entirely new hemisphere for European settlement and transformed Europeans’ perception of the world.
● The Impact of European Exploration
To explore these key questions:
● How and why did the world map change after European exploration of the Americas?
● How did exploration affect country boundaries?
● How would exploration later affect the formation of the United States?
That students answer through this assessment:
● Students write a paragraph answering: “What were the effects of European exploration on Europe and the