Do you need engaging + rigorous writing centers for your 4th and 5th graders? This persuasive/opinion (options for both types of writing include) writing center resource is a perfect literacy center to both engage and challenge your writers.
- This writing center includes 12 different paired text task cards for writing persuasive or opinion essays.
- There are two different direction pages to choose from: one that specifically asks students to write opinion essays and one that asks them to write persuasive essays.
- Each writing center task card includes:
- An engaging question for the students to consider
- Two texts on the topic – one that answers “yes” and one that answers “no”
- To complete the writing task, the student will select a task card and read each side or opinion of the question at the top of the card. He or she will then determine which side or opinion they agree with. Finally, the student will write an opinion or persuasive essay using details from the texts and his or her own unique supporting details.
- A sample student essay has been included to help you introduce and/or model this center.
- Optional planning pages/graphic organizers are included.
•A Consistent Writing Center - Choose 2-3 task cards from the resource to allow students to read and choose from each week. Using the resource in this way will allow you to have a consistent writing center for 4-6 weeks (depending on how many prompts you allow the students to choose from each week).
•Independent Writing Practice – During your opinion/persuasive unit of study, use a few of the prompts to allow your students to practice writing essays in response to a text stimulus.
•Early Finishers – These task cards make great early finisher activities. However, I recommend requiring the student to choose a task card and stick with that task card until completion (which may take up to a week or longer, depending on how much of an early finisher the student is).
•Homework – The writing task cards would also make an excellent homework option. Copy 1-2 pages of task cards if you want to allow for choice. This would be a complete week of writing homework.
Writing Center: Finish the Story ---> These are rigorous + engaging!
Holiday/Seasonal Writing Prompts ---> FULL Year Bundle of Prompts
Need more 4th and 5th Grade Literacy Centers?