This activity is a close reading activity designed in a trifold to fit in a student's reading interactive notebook. It focuses on the following common core standard: LAFS.4.L.3.5
This file includes 2 trifolds with different versions. The first trifold is based off the poem named “The Eagle” by Alfred, Lord Tennyson. The second trifold is based off from a poem named “Sea Turtles”(by anonymous). Each trifold reviews the 5 elements of poetry: verse, theme (imagery), rhythm (meter), repetition (rhyme), and figurative language. To interact with the poem, students are asked to highlight and circle specific types of evidence within the poem.
To differentiate instruction, there is a section within the trifold labeled “challenge”. This will give student the opportunity to use their creativity because it asks students to practice creating phrases using figurative language and then analyze which would best fit the poem.
• Pg. 3-4 Color copy of The Eagle poem foldable.
• Pg. 5-6 Color copy of Sea Turtles poem foldable.
• Pg. 7-8 Black and white copy of The Eagle poem foldable.
• Pg. 9-10 Black and white copy of Sea Turtles poem foldable.
• Pg. 11-12 Poem vs Prose Bald Eagle version
• Pg. 13-14 Poem vs Prose Sea Turtles version
• Pg. 15-16 Answer sheet for The Eagle foldable
• Pg. 17-18 Answer sheet for Sea Turtles foldable