Happy Halloween! This is the first in the Animated Step-by-Step Poem Series and works nicely with the Paper Bag Pumpkins and the Jack-O-Lantern, carving the pumpkin activities that are also available in the Bloom …Where You’re Planted Store.
Similar to Recipes and Crafts series, this PowerPoint Show file allows classroom staff to use animations as a reward for reading. It is especially powerful when conducted in the context of an interactive whiteboard, but can be used on a laptop at a supervised activity center where an adult is available to encourage verbal participation.
In addition to working on literacy and language comprehension skills, this Animated Step-by-Step Poem allows you to work on cardinal and ordinal counting, as well as emotions in a fun and animated way.
• The step-by-step text is simple and consistent.
• Steps have been distilled into smaller components to make them less overwhelming for beginning readers and students with special needs.
• Each PowerPoint slide presents coupled rhymes with several embedded animations to help all students better understand the poem’s text.
• Animations are designed to support and visually reward reading and promote language comprehension.
• Stars appear in the text, signaling when an animation should be inserted.
• Animations are typically slow, to promote visual tracking in several directions.
• Photos are clear with no background distractions.
• Sound effects accompany all key animations to reinforce a deeper understanding of actions and are designed to engage individuals who are visually impaired.
• The task of activating animations is typically shared by students (by coming up to the board to tap or by using a remote switch) or can be assigned to a single student undergoing training in switch use.
• Space has been allotted between the text lines to allow classroom staff to add picture symbols to the document to support an AAC agenda for students with Complex Communication Needs. (.pps file must be converted to .ppt or .pptx file to add symbol graphics)
• A more ‘compact’ version of the poem is also presented (before the credits) to allow the class to re- read the poem together unencumbered by pausing to insert the page animations. Classroom staff may wish to take a screen shot of this ‘compact’ version of the poem to send home with students.
This file was created using PowerPoint 14.3.5 but appears to function fine on earlier versions of PowerPoint. Please note the downloaded file is a ‘read only’ PowerPoint Show file (97-2004). It should be compatible with PowerPoint versions 97 to current.
Bloom is committed to providing students and teachers with creative and engaging materials designed to address the Common Core Standards and promote differentiated instruction that is beneficial for all students.
Hope you enjoy using the Five Little Pumpkins Animated Step-by-Step Poem … as much as I enjoyed making it for your students!