This is a five day mini unit covering information text, expository writing, mixed genre research and writing, main idea, inference skills, and comparing texts. The stories are from Frank R. Stockton's, Buccaneers and Pirates of our Coast.
These resources may be stand alone lessons or a thematic week long mini unit. A veteran teacher may use them as a supplement to an existing unit, while a new teacher may see them as a starting point when one feels lost without a clear curriculum. I think they are also great for substitutes as emergency plans or a week long absence. Who has time to plan for an emergency? I've done it for you!
These lessons include the following:
* A detailed lesson plan for a 50 minute classroom with optional Extensions to use in a 90 minute block
* A 10 minute teacher led mini lesson modeled after Writer’s Workshop
* Extension activities to allow students to work on reading or planning strategies
* Links to an audio versions of some of the texts
* Copyright free texts to distribute to students via classroom sets or digital PDF
* Scaffolded Reading Comprehension questions aligned to the Common Core ELA Standards
* A writing assessment connected to the texts and aligned to the Common Core ELA Standards
* Exit tickets assessing the standards covered in each day's mini lesson
This packet also includes an additional page of differentiated or follow up activities for a GT or Advanced ELA class.
I hope you find this to be a useful resource for your middle school ELA classroom!
Created by Andrea Adams
English Middle School Mania